Password field displays password as you type while using magic/external keyboard

Options
alextan
alextan
Community Member

Shouldn’t this be hidden like on MacOS?

1Password Version: 7.7.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: iOS 14.4
Sync Type: 1Password

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @alextan!

Which password field are you referring to exactly?

• alextan
    alextan
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @ag_ana I'm referring to both the master password field when you open the 1Password app and the master password field when you trigger the 1Password extension in an app. I think it particularly should be turned off for hardware keyboards as it is on MacOS but it'd be nice to turn it off for the on screen keyboard as well.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@alextan:

Thank you for the confirmation! I have reached out to the team to ask if someone has an external keyboard with which to test this :+1: We will post back here as soon as we have an update.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@alextan:

As promised, here I am with an update. A colleague of mine tested this with an external keyboard, and he told me that only the last character appeared (while you are typing it), before disappearing after a few seconds anyway. The entire password is never shown, only the latest character for a few seconds.

• alextan
    alextan
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_ana Yeah I know. It still seems odd to me that you can’t disable it since that’s the default behavior on Mac. The reason password fields are hidden is so that a person can’t easily see what you’re typing. Even if it’s only one character at a time it’s still exposing your password to anyone sitting next to/behind you in a public place, in screen captures, or even if there’s a camera pointed at your device.

I can’t think of any other password field that exposes the password to anyone looking at the screen on iOS. At the very least it seems like there should be an option to disable it.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@alextan:

I can’t think of any other password field that exposes the password to anyone looking at the screen on iOS. At the very least it seems like there should be an option to disable it.

This seems to be an iOS feature: I have tested several password fields now, and all of them behave like this (showing the most recently typed character), even without an external keyboard.

This discussion has been closed.