Default password length: Why not just max it out?

MerryBit
MerryBit
Community Member

Currently, the default length on passwords generated by 1P is something like 14 or 20 characters. While I can guess the reasoning behind that, are there any reasons I shouldn't just max it out to 64 characters for passwords I know I'll never have to type manually?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @MerryBit!

It's because a lot of websites do not accept 64 characters password unfortunately, so this is a good middle ground between password security and usability. You can certainly increase the length yourself if you prefer, and are not afraid to have your password rejected in login forms every now and then, and tweak it until the website accepts it ;)

I see why a lot of people would not want to go through the hassle though, and just have a secure password that has a high chance of being accepted out of the box.

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member

It's because a lot of websites do not accept 64 characters password unfortunately

That's right @ag_ana.

I set my default length to 24 chars, and mostly it works with this length. Yesterday I created a new login and after pasting in the generated password into the password field the error came up that only a maximum of 18 chars are supported on this website. So I had to go down to 18 chars and generate a new password.

So I think that my choice of 24 chars is a good choice, and it seems to work for a big amount of websites. :)

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

So I think that my choice of 24 chars is a good choice, and it seems to work for a big amount of websites. :)

That would be our experience too @DenalB :)

• prvashisht
    prvashisht
    Community Member
    edited May 2021

@DenalB How did you manage to change the default length of your generated password? I recently moved from Lastpass and have been deliberating getting a paid version the lack of customisability in password generation has been a real bummer for me. It's 20 chars for me and I have to open the extension every time to generate a new longer password, copy it and then create a new saved password.

Thanks

Edit: nvm, right after posting this, I found a way to set the default length. However now I found out that I need two extensions, the newer one for form fill, and older one to make it work with the desktop app. Can someone please explain what's the purpose of the three diff apps I have? (Macbook pro 2019)

1. 1Password app
    2. 1Password firefox extension (desktop app required)
    3. 1Password new firefox extension
  • @prvashisht

It is now possible to integrate the newer extension with the desktop app:
    https://1password.community/discussion/120745/a-better-way-to-unlock

:)

Ben

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member

Hi @prvashisht !

I found a way to set the default length.

Good to know! :+1:

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

:+1: :)

• prvashisht
    prvashisht
    Community Member

Thank you, I joined this community at the right time :D

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member

You are very welcome @prvashisht ! :+1:

And if you still have any questions don't hesitate to ask for help. ;)

This discussion has been closed.