Discrepancy in Watchtower items between web client and desktop app

Options
agaton
agaton
Community Member
edited February 2021 in 1Password in the Browser

There is a discrepancy in what Watchtower detects in the web client and desktop app

2FA web (shows only 1 item):

2FA desktop app (shows 2 item):

Expiring item in web client (0 item):

Expiring item in desktop app (1 item):

1Password Version: 7.6.791
Extension Version: 1.23.1
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @agaton ,
    Thanks for reporting this.

Do you have the exact same amount of vaults in both 1Password web and 1Password 7 for Windows? Could it be that your Windows app has an additional local standalone vault that is not present in your 1Password.com web account?

If not, please share the URL of the website that shows up in the 2FA section of Watchtower (if possible) so I can test it here and see if I can reproduce this behavior.

• agaton
    agaton
    Community Member
    Options

How do I reply to a specific person?

Yes, they have the same amount of vaults.

The 2FA item is for Amazon.

Here's the URL https://amazon.com/ap/signin

For the Expiring issue, I have a Membership item. It shows as expired in the desktop client, and not in the web client.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    edited February 2021
    Options

Hey @agaton ,
    Thanks for the additional info.

You can tag specific people by writing "@" and then writing their name as shown here in the forum on the left side.

I wasn't able to replicate the amazon notification with the 2FA flag, so I'm thinking perhaps you are looking at the wrong vault here. The desktop app allows you to look in "All Vaults" and see Watchtower notifications for all of your items simultaneously, while the web app can only show you Watchtower notifications when you focus on a single vault.

So if you have more than one vault, switch between them (by clicking the vault's name on the top bar of the page in the web app), then check the 2FA section in watchtower and see if you can find your amazon login there.

As for the membership expiration - that's something that is only available in the desktop app for now. The expiration dates in the web app are mainly for credit cards. I will forward it to the team though and see when will the web app receive similar functionality to the desktop app on that front :)

• agaton
    agaton
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_yaron

Here is a new screenshot, I've removed 2fa in some of my accounts to test the issue.

It is my Personal vault which contains 245 items. In the web app, there are 8 items under Two-Factor Authentication, while in the desktop app there are 9.

In the HBO Max item, there are 3 websites (same username and password):
    1) HBO Max
    2) Amazon
    3) Netflix

Note that even though there are 2 Amazon logins, they are 2 different accounts that use the same website address:https://amazon.com/ap/signin

The issue now is the Amazon login item that appears in the desktop app is nowhere to be found in the web app.

• ag_michaelc
    edited March 2021
    Options

Hey @agaton. Watchtower is only designed to check the first URL in an item for 2FA, so it looks like there's a bug in the Windows app here. I'll let the team know. :smile:

I'm not sure if this is an item you crafted just for demonstrative purposes, but if you really do have the same password for HBO, Amazon, and Netflix, I'd advise you to separate these out into three items and create random, unique passwords for all three — for your security you should not reuse the same password across websites like this. :smile:

ref: dev/windows/opw#4979

• agaton
    agaton
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_michaelc

Now that's a bug that works elegantly. :) Yeah, I thought Watchtower validates each URL entry.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    Options

That is indeed a bug that works as a feature! :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.