family member master password

mellis
mellis
Community Member

I have been using 1password for over a year. I have the family plan and I created a vault for my husband. When I loaded the app on his phone, I entered my master password. How do I set up his own master password?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:How do I set up a master password for my husband to use for his vault?

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    edited March 2021

Hi @mellis!

When I loaded the app on his phone, I entered my master password.

You should login to his app with his own Master Password, not with yours. Have you invited him to your Families account already?

• mellis
    mellis
    Community Member

He has been invited. I attempted to invite again and I get “a member with this email address already exists.” If I remember correctly (worked on this months ago), after adding a vault for his personal passwords, I loaded the 1Password app on his phone and entered my master password. I couldn’t figure out how to set him up with his own. Now, I want to set it up the right way.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@mellis:

He has been invited.

Perfect! Then you are ready to configure his app :+1:

I loaded the 1Password app on his phone and entered my master password.

When you invited him, he got his own Master Password and Secret Key. So when you configure his app, you should add his Master Password, not yours. But since you added your account there instead, please sign out from your account in his 1Password app (Settings > 1Password Accounts), and you can then login with his credentials :+1:

• mellis
    mellis
    Community Member

I signed out of my account on his 1 password app on his phone. Then, when I login to his app, I see "we found 1 account" which is the family account and it asks for the master password. I don't see how or where I login with his credentials. Also, not sure what his credentials are?

• mellis
    mellis
    Community Member

Where do I enter his personal master password? Sorry I'm just not tracking. Thank you for your patience!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@mellis:

Then, when I login to his app, I see "we found 1 account" which is the family account and it asks for the master password. I don't see how or where I login with his credentials.

There should be an option to dismiss the suggestion in that window, if you want to login with different credentials. If you don't see a way to do it, can you please post a screenshot of what you are seeing, so we can let you know where to tap?

Also, not sure what his credentials are?

If he forgot his credentials since the time you invited him, you will have to recover his account first, so he can choose a new Master Password, and get a new Secret Key with which he can login:

Recover accounts for family or team members

• mellis
    mellis
    Community Member

I went back through my files and found his "credentials". I scanned his setup code and entered his master password. Thank you again for your patience!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

You are very welcome @mellis! I am glad that I could help, and that everything is now setup properly :)

If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day :)

This discussion has been closed.