Different websites using the same credentials?

Options
jmjm
jmjm
Community Member
edited March 2021 in Lounge

More specifically, one is required to use an identical login (username and PW) for 3 ostensibly different newspapers. Since the beginning I have had set it up so there are 3 separate logins each with the applicable descriptive title, registered in 1P.

I have seen references previously about using a single login with multiple website URLs (if they are the exact same credentials). Is this applicable in the case I am describing? But if so then wouldn't all three logins necessarily have to have the same title which would make it difficult to find each "different" one when doing a search in 1P?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @jmjm!

I have seen references previously about using a single login with multiple website URLs (if they are the exact same credentials). Is this applicable in the case I am describing?

Yes, that sounds applicable, if I understood your use case correctly :+1:

But if so then wouldn't all three logins necessarily have to have the same title which would make it difficult to find each "different" one when doing a search in 1P?

Yes, they would all have the same title. In this case, you could rename it to something like "Newspapers". If you search for this item in 1Password, you will be able to see all three different entries within the actual 1Password item.

• jmjm
    jmjm
    Community Member
    Options

You have been extra helpful this morning @ag_ana :)

you will be able to see all three different entries within the actual 1Password item.

When you say "see all three different entries"......you mean seeing some reference to the site's name within each URL? For example if one URL for the TORONTO newspaper was www.toronto.com/user/login/ I would know it was for that TORONTO newspaper?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jmjm:

You have been extra helpful this morning @ag_ana :)

Thank you for the kind words :)

When you say "see all three different entries"......you mean seeing some reference to the site's name within each URL? For example if one URL for the TORONTO newspaper was www.toronto.com/user/login/ I would know it was for that TORONTO newspaper?

Yes, I imagine the URL would show something related to what newspaper this is, right?

In any case, even if it didn't, you can update the labels of the website URLs and add your information yourself. Here is an example:

• jmjm
    jmjm
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for showing that @ag_ana...a picture is worth a thousand words. (So the advantage of setting up identical credential logins using one login rather than 3 is that...one is using one login rather than 3?)

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jmjm:

(So the advantage of setting up identical credential logins using one login rather than 3 is that...one is using one login rather than 3?)

Yes :+1: Also, if you need to update the password for this service in the future, you would only have to do it in one item, and you would have all those three websites covered with one change.

• jmjm
    jmjm
    Community Member
    Options

you would only have to do it in one item,

That is a good idea!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

:+1: :)

This discussion has been closed.