Primary vault activated, now cannot access other vaults

cmbb_we1
cmbb_we1
Community Member

Hi, I'm longtime user of 1password (desktop version 3) so have lots of good years of use. For several years I've been using 1password.com and Teams account with shared vaults you host.

The problem is I moved to a new Mac now have problems.

I was successfully using 1password.com hosted vaults for Teams on this new Mac for some weeks, using the desktop app and the browser extensions. So far so good.

Now I am finishing moving over some data from the old mac. (I did not move using Time Machine restore, but instead am cherry picking some data to move to the new mac as a clean install.)

I have manually copied over the old Primary local vault from the old computer to the new, moving it by USB. I restored a backup from the old Primary vault on the new Mac's 1Password local app and to do so I enabled local vaults. I configured sync with iCloud of this Primary vault.

The problem is now, when I use the 1password extension in my browser, it shows only logins in the Primary vault, excluding the hosted Teams vaults.

When I go to Preferences -> Vaults I see it shows 'Always open to 'All vaults' and I see the 96 total vaults across my Teams account. All boxes are checked. My 'Vault for Saving' is set to Personal (hosted, distinct from Primary).

The second problem is now when I attempt to edit one of these logins in a NON Primary vault, I cannot. I can view and select the Teams vaults, but it will not display their contents.

Help.

1Password Version: 1Password 7 Version 7.7 (70700015) 1Password Store
Extension Version: 4.7.5.90
OS Version: OS X 10.14.6
Sync Type: iCloud
Referrer: forum-search:primary vault mac problem

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @cmbb_we1!

The problem is now, when I use the 1password extension in my browser, it shows only logins in the Primary vault, excluding the hosted Teams vaults.

When you click on the extension button in your browser, what do you see in the search bar? Does it say "Search Primary" or "Search All Vaults" there?

The second problem is now when I attempt to edit one of these logins in a NON Primary vault, I cannot. I can view and select the Teams vaults, but it will not display their contents.

Are you able to post a screenshot of this?

• cmbb_we1
    cmbb_we1
    Community Member

Hi,
    To answer your first question, when I click on extension in browser I see 'Search All Vaults'. See attached screenshot. But it does not search all vaults. You can see in the second red highlighted area iCloud : Primary.

As to your second question, within 1Password desktop app, I attached another screenshot. This is my attempt to search for logins on teamwork.com. I have 4 logins for teamwork.com in my vaults -- as shown by checking on my old Mac in the 1password app.

But when I search for 'teamw' string, it shows only 1 matching result -- the 1 login that I have in my Primary vault. It does not show the other 3 I have in the Teams hosted vault. Again here, I see the On iCloud : Primary on the right side.

You can also see in this attached screenshot there are total of 96 Vaults. That matches my old Mac, on which all vaults are included and is working correctly. So the vaults are there, but seem inaccessible. It's as if some setting prevents looking in any vault but 'On iCloud : Primary'. I can't find some setting to undo this, to expand to all vaults.

See Preferences, and it shows the Team hosted vaults and Primary checked.

Welcome your help.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    edited February 2021

@cmbb_we1:

Thank you for the additional information. If you switch to one of these vaults where this item is stored, and then you try to search again, does 1Password show you results from that vault?

In your first post you wrote:

I can view and select the Teams vaults, but it will not display their contents.

So I wonder if this is the real problem: not that the search is not finding the results, but that those items are not showing up in your vault in the first place.

• cmbb_we1
    cmbb_we1
    Community Member

Hi, in answer to your question, no.

I check the old Mac and see there are 1930 items in total across all vaults.

I check the. new Mac and there are 705 items in total across all vaults, 'all items'. But in fact, it is only the Primary vault that has 705 items.

So effectively the only items on my new mac are what's in Primary vault.

So yes, to your guess about the real problem.

But given my screenshots above, showing preferences, all vaults are checked, not just Primary. So that's why I'm stuck.

• cmbb_we1
    cmbb_we1
    Community Member

Another detail I notice now:

Using the 1password desktop app on my NEW Mac, I tried to createa new login. I get this error:

"Failed to update item because profile is locked"

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@cmbb_we1:

I would like to ask you to generate a diagnostics report from your Mac and email it to us to support+forum@agilebits.com, so we can take a closer look at why this is happening to you.

After you have sent the email, please feel free to post the ticket number you received so we can locate your message and connect it with this forum discussion.

Looking forward to your message!

• Hi @cmbb_we1 ,

I have found and responded to your email in our internal system. Thanks for sending that in. Let's continue the conversation over there.

ref: BFK-88365-687

This discussion has been closed.