Exporting / Printing a Long 1Password Entry

Options
datx
datx
Community Member
edited March 2021 in Mac

This is a general FYI (as I haven't heard back from 1Password yet, but I have found a work-around I thought I'd share).

Long story short.. If you are backing up large 1Password entries via Print or PDF from the 1Password app - CHECK THAT ALL PAGES ARE BEING EXPORTED. If they aren't, try printing them from the web until 1Password fixes this (hoping thats even possible given the difficulty in reproducing the issue with a new entry).

ISSUE: Part of a strategy I have for a specific 1Password entry is to export and backup a PDF version of that entry. I realize some of you are spinning in your chairs at the idea of exporting passwords, but you'll have to trust me that it is ok and the world will continue to rotate. :)

I've been using the "share" icon in the 1Password (mac) app (go to the entry, top right next to the "star" icon -> click it -> click print) for over a year to export this data to a PDF and move offline. I happened to notice one day that it was only exporting the first page. No matter what I did, the entire entry was not exporting out anymore.

I looked at my history of exports, and this started happening months ago. I reported this to 1Password, and they acknowledged they were able to reproduce it. In truth, I think this is a complicated issue as I could not reproduce it again using random data on a new entry (all pages exported out fine). This particular entry has a dozen "websites" listed, multiple sections, and a dozen+ or so password combos in each section block. It is a few pages long.

If I hadn't noticed that it was only exporting a single page, this could have been catastrophic if I had to rely on these backups for whatever reason. I still haven't heard back from 1P, but I randomly decided to go to the web version of 1Password (which I rarely use) and try it there. I right-clicked on the entry, went to print (using chrome) -> save as PDF, and I now have a recent backup of this entry.

Cheers!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• @datx

Thank you for sharing. If we acknowledged it, then we were likely able to reproduce it. It should be filed and tracked. Hopefully, we can get that fixed up in the future.

This discussion has been closed.