Syncing issues between iOS and MacOS

ps091
ps091
Community Member

Hey guys,

I try to keep it as brief as possible. I've been using a licensed 1Password account on my iPhone and my MacBook for about 2 years now. I cannot recall the sync ever being a problem. Yesterday my MacBook was stolen. Fortunately, I still had my mobile phone and immediately de-authorized the MacBook from there and started changing the most critical passwords.

Upon return to the office at night, I immediately grabbed another MacBook, started setting it up, installing 1Password, linking my account and continued changing passwords from there.

As it turns out now, there seems to be missing synchronization between my phone and the MacBook / web version.

Example(s):
1) Yesterday, I changed password X on my phone. When accessing it via web or via MacBook now, I still see the old password. On my phone, I see the new password.
2) I also changed the Master Password for the 1Password account today. When trying to change the master password on my phone, it still accepts the old master password as "Current Master Password".

My conclusion is that the missing sync is "buried" in the phone. I'm using the latest available version 7.7.1 on my phone and have the latest Beta on my Macbook. I tried switching vaults multiple times. I restarted the app + phone multiple times.

My big concern now is that there's two different "forks" of some password objects where I changed them on both systems and upon synchronization, one fork (maybe the correct one) will be lost. It was late at night and I have changed some passwords multiple times.

Does anybody have an idea on how to move forward regarding my issue?

Feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

1Password Version: 7.7.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: iOS 14.4
Sync Type: 1password

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @ps091! Welcome to the forum!

I think the issue is caused by you having multiple vaults synced with different sync methods. At least one of those vaults is synced with 1Password.com, since you wrote:

When accessing it via web or via MacBook now, I still see the old password.

Viewing passwords via Web is a feature of 1Password.com, so that vault is synced with 1Password.com.

But your phone sounds like it has a standalone vault, synced with a third-party sync method, such as iCloud or Dropbox:

2) I also changed the Master Password for the 1Password account today. When trying to change the master password on my phone, it still accepts the old master password as "Current Master Password".

If the iPhone app is still asking you for the old Master Password, this would be the reason. If you open the 1Password app on your phone, do you by chance see an old vault called Primary in there?

• ps091
    ps091
    Community Member

Thanks for your reply. I have a copy of the German translation, so I will try to translate as good as possible.

When entering the settings on the mobile app and going to "Vaults", I see the option to "Activate independent vaults" (An independent vault called "Primary" will be created. This vault will not be synced or saved via your 1Password account..)

Also, I only see my 3 shared vaults and my "Private" vault. This indicates to me that there is no such thing as a Primary vault on the phone.

• ag_tommy
    edited March 2021

@ps091

I would tend to agree with Ana in that it sounds like a Primary vault exist. However, your description sounds like it does not.

To avoid sharing your account information here, can you send us an email to support@1password.com from your account's registered email address, so we can continue the conversation there? A diagnostic report may help sort things, and you wouldn't want to share that here in the public forum.

How to send a 1Password diagnostics report

This discussion has been closed.