Passwords missing after system restore

MplsP
MplsP
Community Member
edited March 2021 in Mac

After doing a fresh system install of MacOS, I installed 1Password 7 and logged in. Everything appeared fine at first but I shortly realized that about 90% of my passwords were missing. (I only had 41 of 551 passwords)

Thankfully, I had recently upgraded from 1Password 6 and had the foresight to save a copy of the last backup file. And used that to restore:

• Under Preferences->Advanced I checked "allow creation of vaults outside of 1Password accounts,"
  • restored from the backup file to the 'Primary' vault.
  • This logs you out of your 1P7 account, so I logged back in and allowed 1P7 to migrate my primary vault to my 1P7 online personal vault.

When I checked the personal vault, there were again only 41 passwords in the personal vault (the same ones as before.) Thinking I had done something wrong, I repeated the process only to have the same thing happen again. Finally I restored from my backup, told 1P7 not to migrate automatically and proceeded to copy my passwords manually.

So now I'm trying to figure out:

• Why did my passwords get deleted in the first place?
  • Why did 1Password keep deleting all my passwords? It appears to keep some sort of log of what had been migrated before and reverted to that but there was no information on this and no way to override it.
  • Just how are you supposed to backup and restore under 1P7? The web site just says "it's all done online for you!" That's great except when it doesn't work.

The main lesson I've learned from all this is 1Password's site is completely worthless; all it does is tell you to do what should have worked in the first place. If it doesn't work as expected you're screwed. Even searching the community was pointless. I had far better luck using google to search (google even gave me better results within 1Password's community than the 1Password search did.) After all of this I'm more than a little disappointed that I wasted money on a 1P7 subscription. The main reason I 'upgraded' was to regain the Safari plugin, but 1P7 is proving to be more expensive, less reliable, less flexible and generally a pain to deal with.

Comments

• I would recommend that you contact us using support@1Password and we can look into what may have happened in greater detail.

This discussion has been closed.