Proxy detection

rtfmoz
rtfmoz
Community Member

Good morning everyone! Attached are a couple of screenshots that 1Password is failing to detect a proxy prompt. Please let me know what I can do to help you diagnose why that is the case.

Proxy: Automatic Proxy Configuration - http PAC file.

Proxy Prompt

Login Entry

1Password Version: Version 7.7.1.BETA-10 (70701010)
Extension Version: 1.24.3
OS Version: OSX 10.15.7
Sync Type: No idea.

Comments

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    edited March 2021

Hey @rtfmoz ,

Basic auth prompts are not an HTML login form, which is why 1Password does not show up in them and cannot autofill them. 1Password only works on HTML web pages and forms. Basic auth prompts are a part of the browser itself (as an app) and not a part of the website.

However, there is a way to log in to a website that triggers a basic auth prompt:
    1. Open the browser.
    2. Click the 1Password icon on the top right corner to open it.
    3. Select the login of that proxy/basic auth prompt and click on "Open & fill". 1Password will open a new tab with the website and will log you in without showing the basic auth prompt.

Give that a try and see if it works.
    Keep in mind that "Open & fill" only works on the first URL in a login item, so that is the URL that will open in the new tab.

• rtfmoz
    rtfmoz
    Community Member
    edited March 2021

Basic auth prompts are not an HTML login form, which is why 1Password does not show up in them and cannot autofill them.

In the nicest possible way, i'm not accepting that response. Why ? Proxy Auto Auth is able to do this. The code is apparently available here. 1Password has exactly the same level of access to the underlying calls as any other extension yet somehow this can do what 1Password cannot. So...

So you trying to tell me that a commercial password manager cannot deal with a 401 authentication prompt? :)

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Hey @rtfmoz ,

We definitely deal with basic auth prompts, as I have written in my previous reply towards the end. We have a very similar implementation, but we simply cannot SHOW UP inside the fields of the basic auth prompt. We can autofill it for you and log you in, if you just open and fill the website via the extension instead of going to the website via your address bar :)

This discussion has been closed.