How can I see past item history and restore?

mf4j
mf4j
Community Member

in 1Password 7

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:1password 7 backup

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @mf4j!

You can use the item history feature for this:

View and restore previous versions of items

• mf4j
    mf4j
    Community Member

I can't find "item history" nor "view item history"

• @mf4j,

These options are available through the 1Password.com web app. Is that where you're looking?

Ben

• mf4j
    mf4j
    Community Member

Ben, thanks. I was looking on my app. Got it now.

• Gotcha! Sorry, at the moment these options aren't in the desktop / mobile apps - just the web UI. Hopefully in the future we can bring those functions to the apps as well. Glad to hear it ultimately worked out.

Ben

• bevberlin
    bevberlin
    Community Member

I am trying to locate the item history but don't understand your reference to 1Password.com web app. I am using a 1Password vault as a chrome extension on my mini mac running macOS High Sierra 10.13.1. I have also tried going directly to 1password.com, logged in, selected the item whose history I want, but still see the item history option. Please help.

• bevberlin
    bevberlin
    Community Member

Another questions: How do I find the last used date for a login? Thanks.

• Hi @bevberlin

I'm sorry for any confusion caused. It sounds like you did the right thing. Item history is only available through 1Password.com, and not in the 1Password desktop or mobile apps (e.g. 1Password for Mac). If an item has history, it'll have a "view item history" button on it. If there isn't any history saved, there won't be a button. It sounds like the item you selected may not have any history saved.

For example, the first screenshot shows an item that has history, while the second screenshot shows one that does not:

(has history)

(does not have history)

In short: the button will on be there if there is something to show.

Another questions: How do I find the last used date for a login? Thanks.

1Password for Mac has the ability to sort your items by the last used date. Below the search box there is a sort selector. If you change that to sort by last used you can see those dates.

Does that help? Please let me know.

Ben

• danielharvey
    danielharvey
    Community Member

@Ben Can I suggest that https://support.1password.com/item-history/ is updated to reflect the availability in the webapp only?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@danielharvey:

Thank you for the suggestion :+1:

• sambecker
    sambecker
    Community Member

Am I right in thinking this is a recently removed feature of the Mac app (still depicted on the 1Password marketing website https://1password.com/tour/)? If so, would love to have it back one day. I find it very useful during the cognitively difficult task of rotating passwords on a site, which is a process that often fails, and falling back on a password history is essential, not to mention a stress reliever.

• @sambecker

If you're referring to the "View Item History" feature (discussed in this thread) that has never been a part of 1Password for Mac — it has only been and continues to be available in the web app. Password history on the other hand is a 1Password for Mac feature and can be viewed in v7.7 by selecting the down arrow to the right of the password field:

I hope that's helpful, and my apologies for any confusion caused.

Ben

• sambecker
    sambecker
    Community Member

That is EXACTLY what I was looking for! Sorry for the confusion. Thank you @Ben!

• No worries; glad that helps. Stay safe.

Ben

• seekbus
    seekbus
    Community Member

That dropdown to reveal the View Password History feature in the mac app is a huge step backwards. Why take a feature that you previously exposed clearly and now hide it? Beyond that, the dropdown chevron doesn't even appear on the field until you hover over it, which makes it that much more hidden. It's a bad user experience to hide UI.

I realize you are probably trying to clean up visual presentation, but I would strongly encourage you to reconsider.

• @seekbus

Thank you for sharing. I'll pass your thoughts on to my colleagues. Perhaps it's something that we can improve on.

• ericsh
    ericsh
    Community Member

Hi, I'm trying to restore a previous version of a login item. I just moved it from one vault to another when I realized something was wrong with it. I went to 1password.com, but the item shows no history. Is that because I just moved it? Is there another way to get an older version restored? What about all the backups kept by the Mac version of 1password? Can I restore a single item from that?

Thanks.

• @ericsh

Have you tried looking in the original vault under the password history? You should be able to restore it from there if needed. The Mac app only makes backups of local vaults. Those using 1Password.com accounts have backups kept on the server.

• ericsh
    ericsh
    Community Member

Hi, it's not the password field that got mangled; it's the username. Luckily, I just another entry for the same login which had the username I needed.

Thanks for clarifying about the local backups; makes sense of course. I'm all set now.

• @ericsh

You're welcome, and I'm glad to hear everything worked out.

• danielharvey
    danielharvey
    Community Member

Hi 1Password team, can I please repeat my suggestion that you update the documentation at https://support.1password.com/item-history/ to advise users:
    1. That full item history is available in the webapp only
    2. That password history is available as noted by @Ben above.

I keep needing to web search to work this out! :)

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you again for the suggestions :+1:

• hepabolu
    hepabolu
    Community Member

I fully agree with @seekbus: it used to be clearly visible and I had to find this thread to find the information again. So please put the password history back in it's former place or make the functionality much easier to find.

• Thanks for the suggestion, @hepabolu. :+1:

Ben

• inkkling
    inkkling
    Community Member

Adding my input. I agree with the suggestions about putting password history in a more visible and obvious location. Not sure if/when it changed but I remember it being easier to do. I had to search for about 15 minutes before finding this thread.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for chiming in on this as well @inkkling :+1:

• occamsrazor
    occamsrazor
    Community Member

It would be nice if the "view item history" functionality possible in the web app could be added to the Mac app too. Thanks.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@occamsrazor:

Thank you for the suggestion!

This discussion has been closed.