applications outside of browser don't get id/pword filled from 1password. why?

For example, I just started using Amazon Photos. 1Password has my amazon password. I don't know what it is. But when the login window pops up, 1Password does not. So nothing is filled in. Even if I open 1Password and click on the amazon entry, nothing happens. So I have to copy the password and paste it in. (And fun thing when I have to do that is if I forget to type in my username and make sure the cursor is moved to the pword field the password gets pasted into the username field.
This has happened in the past with other apps I have that do not open inside a browser. Why is this?

1Password Version: 7.6.793
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: windows 10
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:applications outside of browser don't get id/pword filled from 1password

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member

@rhussey993 1Password cannot see inside other apps, just like other apps cannot see inside 1Password. Browsers are the exception because they support add-ons or extensions. These are essentially apps which run within the browser and can see things the browser allows them to see. So the 1Password extension can scan webpages, look for the password fields, match password items relating to that domain and fill them in.
    Windows apps could in theory expose an interface which allowed other apps to complete passwords. However, for this to be practical, it would require a universal standard and an update to all the apps sending and receiving passwords. There's also the security challenge of checking the app is entitled to receive the password. It would be quite straightforward for an app to impersonate other apps and use this to extract all your passwords.

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member

Hi @rhussey993!

Like @missingbits wrote 1Password is not able to auto-fill credentials in apps outside the browser.

For filling your credentials into your apps you can use 1Password Mini which is located in your system tray. Open it and search for the specific entry. Right-click on the entry and drag username and password into the matching fields of your app.

You can read more about this here:
    https://support.1password.com/1password-mini-windows/#fill-details-in-apps

• Thanks for the assist!

This discussion has been closed.