Massive RAM memory usage by 1Password!

Options
ShoutingMan
ShoutingMan
Community Member

I've found 1Password is using massive amounts of RAM after left running for a while. On my computer it was using 2.5 GB of RAM. On my wife's computer, she got an macOS alert that she was out of application memory and found that 1Password was using 6 GB of RAM!!!

When I quit 1Password and relaunched, it only needed 100 MB, a 25x reduction on my iMac.

1Password Version: 7.6
Extension Version: 7.6
OS Version: 10.15.7
Sync Type: 1Password

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @ShoutingMan!

Out of curiosity, how long had 1Password been running before you quit and relaunched it?

• ShoutingMan
    ShoutingMan
    Community Member
    Options

Days to weeks. I generally don't quit the application unless there's a real need, like a system update or system crash requiring a reboot.

• ShoutingMan
    ShoutingMan
    Community Member
    edited November 2020
    Options

I quit and restarted yesterday. Its memory use has grown from about 100MB to 270MB in about 24 hours.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@ShoutingMan:

Thank you for the confirmation! I am not seeing this behavior in the latest beta. Would you mind giving that a try and see if this happens to you there too?

Use 1Password beta releases

• ShoutingMan
    ShoutingMan
    Community Member
    Options

I'll give it a try.

A couple days later, 1Password isn't showing memory growth right now: it's down to 185MB after another 24 hours.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

That's good to hear @ShoutingMan. Keep us posted :+1:

• ShoutingMan
    ShoutingMan
    Community Member
    Options

Big Sur with 1Password Beta running for about 18 hours and no apparent memory leak. Will keep watching.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Fantastic, thank you :+1: :)

• meric117
    meric117
    Community Member
    edited December 2020
    Options

Is this fixed in the latest stable release?
    I encountered similar issues on my Big Sur macOS with 1Password consuming 1.6G RAM memory. My 1Password version is Version 7.7 (70700015). The built-in "Check for updates" told me I'm up to date.
    Thanks!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@meric117:

The latest stable release is indeed 7.7, so any updates about this behavior will be added to a future version.

• fwong
    fwong
    Community Member
    Options

Hi,

I just installed "1password 7" last night (trial subscription). In less than 24 hours on Big Sur, it jumped to 2.7GB and constantly busy loading when I clicking around in the app (the macOS loading icon spinning). I just quitted the 1password process and restarted it. Is this normal behavior? I am on v7.7 (since I just downloaded it last night).

Thanks!

• Ben
    Options

Hey @fwong

It's not ideal. :) We have some changes in the latest beta version we're hoping will alleviate that. If you'd like to give it a try you can find instructions here:

Ben

• fwong
    fwong
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Ben,

Thanks and I will try the beta later this week. I was sort of watching the memory footprint since I posted last night. It did climbed to almost 2GB this morning but then it dropped back down to about 200mb in a few hours. Now it is hanging around 400mb.

Thanks!
    Frederick

• cyayon
    cyayon
    Community Member
    Options

Hi, no change since the last beta (beta4). The issue is always here !

• cyayon
    cyayon
    Community Member
    Options

As soon as i use 1password app (not the extension) on my mac mini M1 to update/delete/add logins, the application consume memory and never release it.
    It is very easy to reproduce this issue, just modify 3 or 4 existing entries or just add some test logins. In the same time, just check process memory usage.
    I have this issue on stable 7.7 and even the very last 7.7.1-BETA4.
    I do not understand why it is so complicated to resolve this issue, as it is very easy to reproduce it...

• fwong
    fwong
    Community Member
    Options

I am seeing the same behavior with 7.7 (I have not tried the beta yet), especially when the new "login" is created through the safari extension (I have not tried other extension because I am using safari to experiment with 1password).

• Ben
    Options

Hi folks,

We're currently working through a couple different performance related issues with 1Password for Mac. It appears we've got some but not all of them nailed down in 7.7.1-BETA4. Two that seem to be outstanding for some folks are:

• When adding/editing multiple items the app uses increasing amounts of memory which ultimately leads to the app responding sluggishly
    • Unlocking takes an unexpectedly long amount of time, especially when Touch ID is enabled

If you're running into those or other issues please do install the beta:

The next time you experience this slowness, while running the latest beta, I'd like to ask you to create a diagnostics report from your Mac:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Mac)

Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@agilebits.com.

With your email please include:

• A link to this thread: https://1password.community/discussion/116732/massive-ram-memory-usage-by-1password
    • Your forum username
    • What happens leading up to the app being slow or under what conditions the problem is noted

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number.  Please post that number here so I can track down the diagnostics. Thanks very much!

Ben

• hedkase
    hedkase
    Community Member
    Options

I'm seeing the same resource usage with 1Password 7.7 (70700016) on my iMac Pro. After a reboot I see 1Password using under 100MB. A few hours later it'll be over 1.5GB. This behavior occurs every time.

I'm then forced to restart the app, as the interface has gotten too sluggish to use.

• @hekase

Thanks for the report. We're continuing to work at resolving this for our users. Are the betas something you would like to try? If so, you can find instructions in Ben's post immediately above yours on enabling the betas.

• You mentioned the Mac App Store version of 1Password. You would need to take an additional step to enable the betas. You would need to switch to the website version and then enable the betas.
  • bestlem
    bestlem
    Community Member
    Options

I am using 1Password 7
    Version 7.7.1.BETA-4 (70701004)
    1Password Beta

and I just killed it as it was using 3.1G memory.

I was doing a lot of cleanup on Watchtower falgged items

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@bestlem:

Thank you for letting us know! Have you emailed us a diagnostics report too? If you did, please share the ticket number you received so we can locate your report in the system :+1:

• 3x3cut0r
    3x3cut0r
    Community Member
    Options

hi i have the same problem.
    1password is currently on 2,3gb of ram and so slow ... also after restart.
    is there a new stable release in sight to avoid installing the beta?

thank you

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@3x3cut0r:

It is probably in sight at this point, although we don't have a specific date to share.

• hilltop15
    hilltop15
    Community Member
    Options

I am experiencing the same problem. Steady increase in memory usage of the 1Password app until it is consuming > 1GB memory as per MacOS Activity Monitor; app becomes increasingly sluggish and slow; eventually app becomes unresponsive and needs to be Force Quit. This is a recent experience for me, since around mid-Feb 2021. I too leave the 1Password app open for long stretches (I make heavy use of the app in everything I do). Quitting the app seems to reset the condition.

I am using:

• macOS Big Sur 11.2
    • 1Password 7: Version 7.7 (70700016) from Mac App Store
    • I have the Mini helper app launch at startup and is available in the task bar.

Note that macOS Big Sur 11.2.3 was released on or about 2021-03-08 (see https://support.apple.com/kb/HT201222). Not sure if the memory leak is related.

• Ben
    Options

Hi @hilltop15

We've fixed this in the beta version and hope to have a non-beta release available soon. If you'd like to try the beta you can find instructions here:

https://support.1password.com/betas/

Ben

• Ben
    Options

1Password 7.8 is now available from our website and includes the changes that had been in the beta. :smile:

Ben

This discussion has been closed.