Beachballs everywhere

AUSFestivus
AUSFestivus
Community Member
edited September 2020 in Mac

Afternoon,

My 1password app is constantly pausing and throwing beachballs at me.
The length of the pause varies.

Unsure how to troubleshoot this. Any pointers?

1Password Version: 7.06
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.16.6
Sync Type: Family and Teams

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @AUSFestivus!

1Password Version: 7.06

If you are indeed running 1Password version 7.0.6, I recommend updating to the latest version as soon as you can (currently at 7.6). Version 7.06 was released more than two years ago now, and there have been a lot of bug fixes since then. Perhaps just updating the app will take care of the issue ;)

• AUSFestivus
    AUSFestivus
    Community Member

Hi @ag_ana,

I made a typo. Im on 7.6.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for the confirmation @AUSFestivus! Good to know that app updates have been taken care of already :)

Can you please try quitting 1Password completely (right-click on 1Password mini in the menu bar at the top right of your screen > Quit 1Password Completely), and then relaunch 1Password? Do you still see the same behavior then?

• AUSFestivus
    AUSFestivus
    Community Member

Have done that. It has eliminated the beachballs for now.
    Ive seen this behaviour before though and im suspecting it will return.

What are something things I can delve into when it happens again so I can see whats going on?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@AUSFestivus:

Have done that. It has eliminated the beachballs for now.

That's great to hear!

What are something things I can delve into when it happens again so I can see whats going on?

We could help you look at some logs in that case. Please take a look at the instructions my colleague Ben posted in this other discussion. Make sure you change information such as discussion URL and username :+1:

• jon123
    jon123
    Community Member

I keep having this issue as well. Seems to be in the last 2-3 months.. Constant beachballs with 1Password. It's driving me nuts.

• ShoutingMan
    ShoutingMan
    Community Member

I'm running 7.7.Beta-13 now (due to seeming memory leak issue). The speed problem seems fixed, at first try.

• Thanks for the update @ShoutingMan. Glad to hear the beta has helped.

@jon123 Would you be interested in trying the beta version? If so you can find details on that here: https://support.1password.com/betas/

Ben

• kevinosinski
    kevinosinski
    Community Member

I have also been seeing this problem with version 7.6 on some of my Macs, and the beachballs are consistently seen when performing the first operation after unlocking and after saving any change, presumably when 1Password is doing a sync. It seems to get slower over time. Looking in Activity Monitor, 1Password is using an enormous amount of memory on the Mac's impacted. Doing a Quit 1Password Completely seems to at least temporarily make the problem go away. Definitely looks like a memory leak.

• jon123
    jon123
    Community Member

@Ben Is there a known issue the current beta fixes? I depend on 1Password for work, which is why the beachballs are a problem. Using a beta release isn't the best solution :)

• There is a known performance issue with v7.6 which is fixed in 7.7, yes. Trying the beta would confirm if you're experiencing the same issue that we fixed or not. If that isn't feasible in your environment I understand.

Ben

• JamesHenderson
    JamesHenderson
    Community Member

how far away is 7.7 from being released?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@JamesHenderson:

We typically don't share this information because it is never set in stone. Our developers make sure that the new stable release is really ready to exit beta, so we don't have fixed timelines for this.

• kevinosinski
    kevinosinski
    Community Member

Things are much better in 7.7, but I am still seeing a slower memory leak when leaving 1Password running for a long time (or perhaps using it a lot). As expected, doing a Quit 1Password Completely and relaunching resolves the problem for a while.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for the confirmation @kevinosinski :+1:

• jon123
    jon123
    Community Member

Running 1Password Version 7.7 (70700015) on macOS 10.15.7
    Just wanted to come back to say that the relief of was only temporary. It's back to giving me beachballs often again. It happens basically any time I try to switch vaults or edit data. To say that it's frustrating would be an understatement.

• Hi @jon123,

We are tracking a couple of outstanding performance issues with 1Password for Mac. Some of these have been addressed in the latest beta release, but two that it appears still exist for some customers are:

• Slowness while unlocking (particularly if Touch ID is enabled)
    • Increased memory usage leading to overall sluggish response from the app after editing multiple items

If you are having any performance / slowness issues with 1Password for Mac I would encourage you to try the beta version:

Use 1Password beta releases

The next time you experience this slowness, while running the latest beta, I'd like to ask you to create a diagnostics report from your Mac:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Mac)

Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@agilebits.com.

With your email please include:

• A link to this thread: https://1password.community/discussion/115693/beachballs-everywhere#latest
    • Your forum username
    • What happens leading up to the app being slow or under what conditions the problem is noted

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number.  Please post that number here so I can track down the diagnostics. Thanks very much!

Ben

• telephoneman2
    telephoneman2
    Community Member

Hi guys, we have changed in 1Password a large number of password items (Changed passwords) - and it turns out the more items we change the more memory 1Password for Mac consumes and the slower the computer gets. After complete close 1Password and start new its all fine until we change again a large number of items. And then restart 1Password program. Is that issue known?

1Password Version: 1Password 7 Version 7.7 (70700016)
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: Big Sur 11.1 (20C69)
    Sync Type: Not Provided

• Hi @telephoneman2

I'm sorry to hear about the trouble. I've merged your thread with another on the same subject. Could you please see my reply just above to jon123 and try the steps there?

Thank you!

Ben

• telephoneman2
    telephoneman2
    Community Member

Hi @Ben I created one. Before I email it - does it contain any sensitive data? Thanks

• jon123
    jon123
    Community Member

@Ben Just wanted to mention that I don't have Touch ID (iMac), but I do have Apple Watch unlock (though I didn't have this before 7.7 since it didn't have that feature). I noticed before installing the beta just now that memory usage was very high (10GB!).
    If I see any issues I'll report them, thanks!

• @telephoneman2

You can read our privacy statement regarding diagnostics here:

About 1Password diagnostics information

Specifically: the contents of your 1Password items are not included.

Ben

• @jon123

Okay; thanks! We did make a number of improvements in 7.7.1-BETA4 so hopefully that does the trick, but if not we'll be happy to investigate further. :+1:

Ben

• telephoneman2
    telephoneman2
    Community Member

@Ben: Bitbot has spoken ;-) #TTA-69556-396

• Thanks @telephoneman2. :)

Ben

ref: dev/apple/issues#5191

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@telephoneman2: Can you give me a sense of how many edits you're talking about? I am not seeing that myself, but maybe I don't edit enough. I'd like to get a general idea of what we're talking about with "a large number" of items.

• telephoneman2
    telephoneman2
    Community Member

Hello @Brenty we can't really tell. But about 50 then it started to get weird

• telephoneman2
    telephoneman2
    Community Member

@brenty I think with BETA release in general its more "snappy" and usage of memory is not that bad as before- so I'd says its improved now

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for letting us know @telephoneman2! That is great to hear :)

• Hi everyone,

1Password 7.8 is now available from our website and contains the performance fixes that had been in the beta. If you installed the beta for the fix and want to get back on the non-beta release you can find instructions in this guide: https://support.1password.com/betas/

Thanks!

Ben

This discussion has been closed.