Unlock 1Password for Chrome with Touch ID?

Hello,

I'd like to be able to unlock 1Password for Chrome with Touch ID on my MacBook Air M1. I've found a few threads here advising to install the beta; I tried that and I'm still not seeing any options in Settings to unlock with Touch ID. Any help would be much appreciated—thank you!

1Password Version: 1Password 7 Version 7.7 (70700015)
Extension Version: 1.23.1
OS Version: macOS 11.2.2
Sync Type: Not sure

Comments

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Hey @robify ,

Touch ID unlock is not yet available for 1Password in the browser, but we're definitely working on it! While I don't have an ETA to share, I'd suggest keeping your apps up to date (they should auto-update so no need to do anything special) and stay tuned :)

If Touch ID is extremely crucial to your workflow, you can install the old 1Password Classic extension in your browser instead of the one you currently have, and it will connect to the desktop app, allowing you to unlock it with Touch ID. The downside is that 1Password Classic does not show up on its own inside usernames/password fields, so I do recommend sticking to your current 1Password in the browser.

• duffetta
    duffetta
    Community Member

The user experience here wasn't great. I was somehow forced to install the latest 1Password browser extension for Chrome, and then Touch ID went away. No notice. No email warning. Just happened to me. I don't expect this kind of experience from 1P.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@duffetta:

Can you please download the classic extension and see if that works for you?

Get the 1Password classic extension

It sounds like you replaced your existing extension with the new one, which does not currently have Touch ID integration, as Yaron said.

• duffetta
    duffetta
    Community Member

@ag_ana, thanks. Yes, I can certainly go get the classic 1P extension. My point was that the upgrade happened without really any warning. That is not a good user experience, and that was what I was trying to let you know about.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@duffetta:

The classic extension does not update to the new extension automatically, the new one must be installed separately. We kept them separate exactly so this doesn't happen, so I think you just downloaded the new one by mistake once :)

• robify
    robify
    Community Member
    edited March 2021

Thank you @ag_yaron and @ag_ana , I installed the Classic extension and now I can use Touch ID. So that did resolve my immediate issue.

I did just want to chime in with @duffetta that it does seems like Touch ID has been talked about for a while, was implemented in beta, then was taken away. I think some of us in the 1Password community are just wondering why we have to legacy extension when Touch ID has been a macOS feature for years now.

Just some feedback, but thank you again for your help! :+1:

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    edited March 2021

Hey @robify ,

Touch ID unlock was a part of an integration beta feature in 1Password in the browser (previously known as 1Password X) and it never made it out of beta because it didn't work as well as we wanted it to and was not 100% reliable. We removed it in order to build a newer, better integration that works more reliably.

Touch ID unlock was always available in 1Password for Mac alongside 1Password Classic (previously known as the companion extension) - that is still true and hasn't changed in years.

I hope that clarifies the situation :)

• robify
    robify
    Community Member

Got it, thank you for the explanation on that @ag_yaron. If it was buggy in beta, I can understand not wanting to roll it out.

As a customer, I wanted to offer my two cents that I think the messaging around this could be better. For example, the landing page for the Classic extension could say something like "here are some reasons you might want to use the Classic extension..." and mention Touch ID support.

I would also suggest emphasizing that this is being actively worked on. I know ETAs are hard to give, but even something like "we're hoping to see this feature added back by [fall 2021]" would be helpful and make customers feel heard. Just from Googling, it seems like a lot of folks are eager to see it in the main extension (formerly "X"? That's also a bit confusing to me.)

Touch ID aside, I still love 1Password and thanks for all of the hard work you and your team put into it! :smile:

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for the feedback and suggestions @robify .

The thing is, the new 1Password in the browser is definitely the future of 1Password. It provides a much better autofilling experience (Touch ID unlock aside) and makes it super fun and easy to use 1Password, so we're definitely pushing it as the mainstream. We do not want to encourage users to use 1Password Classic, which is why things are sorted and described as they are now in our website.

We do have an official announcement regarding the integration feature here in the forum, in case you missed it: https://1password.community/discussion/115228/temporarily-removing-desktop-app-integration/p1

Giving vague ETA's was not a great idea as you can see in that discussion, so from now on - it will be ready when it's ready :chuffed:
    Thank you kindly for your patience and support!

• robify
    robify
    Community Member
    edited March 2021

Thank you @ag_yaron.

Frankly, I feel like the tone of this discussion is just a bit off for a customer-service experience. I can appreciate that you're trying to explain the background of why Touch ID isn't in the main 1Password extension, but I also feel like my feedback is being invalidated a bit when you say "thank you [...], the thing is..." and "it will be ready when it's ready".

Not a big deal, but if there isn't a solution to what I'm looking for, I think it's fine to just acknowledge that I had a slightly negative experience here, and reassure me that it's being worked on.

I hope this is more helpful than my other feedback 😂 Take care.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    edited March 2021

Heh, thank you @robify .
    We value all feedback, and yours is definitely on point :)

I appreciate what you said and have taken it to heart.
    We are definitely (hectically) working on the integration feature and much more! So keep your apps up-to-date and stay tuned :+1:

• robify
    robify
    Community Member

Will do! Thank you for your time @ag_yaron and have a nice evening :smile:

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

You too :+1:

This discussion has been closed.