To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Secret key question

Options
CFales
CFales
Community Member

In the help documentation for secret key it says that the secret key is generated on our own device and is't known by 1Password/AgileBits.
My question is, how can this be the case since we download the Emergency Kit, which includes the secret key in plain text, from the 1Password web site? So it must be generated on the 1Password web site and therefore known to 1Password/AgileBits, no?

1Password Version: 7.6.793
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: 1Password Account

Comments

• ag_tommy
    edited March 2021
    Options

@CFales

Everything is happening on device within the browser locally. The Secret Key is never transmitted across the net. When you make the print out it is from within the browser again locally. I've included a few links which you may find helpful.

What if 1Password gets hacked?

https://1password.com/files/1Password-White-Paper.pdf

• CFales
    CFales
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks @ag_tommy. So does this mean that when I signed up for the 1Password account the Emergency Kit PDF is being created and downloaded solely by my browser rather than on the server? I looked in the links and didn’t see this specifically mentioned (ie. the PDF creation). Thanks

• ag_tommy
    edited March 2021
    Options

@CFales

Yes, the Secret Key is generated for printing on the device within the browser. It is not downloaded from the server. That's the beauty of the setup its just like your Master Password only you know it.

If you do not save the Secret Key during account creation and later cannot locate it, there is no way for us or you to access your data. Even if you know one side of the equation (Master Password) you cannot access the data without the second part.

There is a close parallel conversation going over in our lounge where a member of the security team has been assisting other users. I'd like to point you to one of his posts that may help. https://1password.community/discussion/comment/591988/#Comment_591988

This discussion has been closed.