Machine specific password

Options
pepost
pepost
Community Member

I have had a Master password to unlock the whole 1Password (on all devices) and a machine specific password to get in on each device. In installing on an M1 Mac mini I no longer have a choice in Preferences>Security to Change Master Password on the device. I only see a way to change the overall Master Password.

1Password Version: 1Password 7 Version 7.8 (70800000) 1Password Store
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OSX 10.15.7
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:I have had a Master password to unlock the whole 1Password (on all devices) and a machine specific password to get in on each device. In installing on an M1 Mac mini I no longer have a choice in Preferences>Security to Change Master Password on the device. I only see a way to change the overall Master Password.

Comments

• @pepost

I most often see this occur when someone has moved to one of our membership offerings, and they have inadvertently left a Primary vault on their device. The Primary vault can open with a different Master Password. Are you using one of our memberships?

If so, please follow these instructions to get every device to using the same Master Password.

1. Check to make sure all of your data is available on https://my.1password.com and ensure you have a copy of your Emergency Kit.

2. If needed copy or move any items from your Primary vault to your membership vault (Personal/Private) that are not already present. * Please be sure you have the most up to date information in your Personal vault.

3. Remove the Primary vault.

Your device should now unlock with the same Master Password you use to access 1Password.com

--

The way 1Password unlocks is:

1. If a Primary vault exists, then it will unlock using the Master Password for that vault, regardless of what, if any, memberships are signed in.

2. If a single 1Password membership is signed in, then unlock using the Master Password for that membership account.

3. If multiple memberships are signed in, then unlock using the Master Password of the first added membership.

These are each exclusive scenarios. For example, if multiple memberships are signed in, you cannot unlock 1Password using the Master Password of the second account that was added.

• pepost
    pepost
    Community Member
    Options

I realized that on the new computer the Primary vault is missing. I'll work on getting it moved tonight. Thanks!

• You're welcome.

This discussion has been closed.