Copy generated password some sites won't allow paste new pw. Ctrl+v doesn't work either. Any tips?

Options

Unable to paste new PW to some websites, Ctrl+v won't paste either. Am I missing something or must it be entered manually?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Copy generated password some sites won't allow paste new pw. Ctrl+v doesn't work either. Any tips?

Comments

• Blake
    Options

Hi there @yvrhnl 👋

This sounds like there might be something more going on, particularly with your system clipboard there on your end of things.

Are you able to copy and paste at all, even outside of 1Password?

• yvrhnl
    yvrhnl
    Community Member
    Options

Copy /Paste works fine with everything but some web pages appear to have the paste function to Pw field disabled when creating a new account or changing PW.

• yvrhnl
    yvrhnl
    Community Member
    Options

The solution may be in this article? I have not had the opportunity to test the browser extension yet but it may work. The extension name is not politically correct so beware.

https://netvantagemarketing.com/cant-paste-passwords-into-a-password-field-heres-the-solution/

• Blake
    Options

@yvrhnl

Some websites, unfortunately, do tend to disable fields from being able to copy/paste into them. We do tend to see this more often with financial institutions, though.

Would you be willing to share the URL for the website you're having issues with? If you don't feel comfortable doing so in this thread, feel free to shoot me a DM!

• yvrhnl
    yvrhnl
    Community Member
    Options

The website is my government pension site. The initial login to my account page is no problem. Once logged in, I had a request to change my password that must contain specific characters. I used the 1Password generator with no problem until I tried to paste new PW into fields with no success. Very inconvenient with a 12 character PW.
    I am sorry I don't know how to DM you on this site.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member
    Options

@yvrhnl Does drag and drop work? I've found that some of the web pages that block copy and paste can be filled using drag and drop.

• yvrhnl
    yvrhnl
    Community Member
    Options

I didn't try that. but that site is done for now. I will try next time I find a site that disables copy/paste. Thanks for the suggestion.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Sounds good @yvrhnl :+1:

This discussion has been closed.