Why will my iMac not update my 7.7 1Password?

BernieJ2
BernieJ2
Community Member
edited March 2021 in Mac

I have 1Password 7.7 (70700016) (purchased from the Mac App Store) installed on my iMac running Big Sur 11.2.1. I am running Safari 14.0.3 (16610.4.3.1.4) and therefore I believe the 1Password Safari extension has been updated with each update I have done since owning 1Password 7. I have tried to install the latest update seven times and I always get the same messages: "Click Continue to quite 1Password 7 and complete the update." About a minute or so after I click "Continue", I get this error message: "UNABLE TO CLOSE '1PASSWORD 7' The update for '1Password 7' couldn't be completed. Try again later." I have tried the update both with the 1Password app open and closed. The Safari browser extension was both open and "quit 1Password entirely" during the various attempts. No luck with any combination. Seems there is a bug in the update installer. What do you suggest I do?

1Password Version: 7.7
Extension Version:
OS Version: 11.2.1
Sync Type:
Referrer: forum-search:Unable to install latest 1Password update

Comments

• @BernieJ2

I'm sorry for the trouble. Let's replace the application.

1. Quit all open web browsers.
    2. Look for our helper in the menu bar near the WiFi indicator and the clock. Right-click on the helper and select quit 1Password completely.
    3. Drag 1Password from the Applications folder to the Trash. Do not use an "app cleaner" or "uninstaller" tool to remove the app or additional files. If prompted, enter the password you use to sign in to your Mac.
    4. Restart the Mac.
    5. Download the latest version of 1Password from the 1Password website.
    6. Quit any open web browsers and then install 1Password.
    7. Open and unlock 1Password before opening your web browser.
  • BernieJ2
    BernieJ2
    Community Member

Tommy, Thanks for your very prompt reply. And thanks for clear and direct instructions on what I should do. I followed your instructions and everything went as indicated. I am back in business with an updated 1Password 7.8. You made my day and this was absolutely the best technical support I have ever received. Thanks You!!

• Old_Jeremiah
    Old_Jeremiah
    Community Member

I followed steps 1 and 2, then tried loading from the App Store. Worked like a charm.

• I'm happy to hear you both were able to update. That makes for a great evening.

This discussion has been closed.