1Password does not (reliably) synchronize with a folder on a volume

Options
MarkWieczorek
MarkWieczorek
Community Member

For the past several years, I have been synchronizing my passwords between different computers using the 1Password app with a folder on a local volume. This used to work fine, but at some point (I can't remember when), 1Password stopped automatically synchronizing with this folder.

First, I note that if I quit and restart the 1Password desktop app, the application WILL in fact correctly synchronize with the folder. However, when I make a change to my passwords on a different computer, I can tell that the modification date of the 1Password.opvault file changes on both computers, but 1Password doesn't re-synchronizes with this file, even though it was changed (this is verified by the "last synced" time in the Sync preferences). If I quit and restart 1Password, everything will correctly synchronize again.

Second, I note that the network volume is in fact a "local" volume on my computer (so there are no issues "connecting" to this volume over the network). In particular, I am using the application Keybase that creates a volume on your computer that is encrypted using the Keybase file system. I note that there have been no changes to the Keybase app over the past year, and that 1Password does in fact synchronize with the 1Password.opvault file whenever I quit and restart 1Password.

Conclusions
I acknowledge that there are probably only a few % of 1Password users that synchronize with a folder located on a network volume. Nevertheless, this is a bug with the 1Passord application. When I chose to invest in a password manager, I chose 1Password because we had the option of doing this. If this is not fixed, I will likely start researching alternative options.

Feature request
Given that the 1Password app has a bug that doesn't allow it to synchronize reliably with a network volume, the application should have the option to "Force synchronize". The most logical place to put the force synchronize option would be in the Preferences > Sync options. I am surprised that this option doesn't already exist.

1Password Version: 7.7
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 11.2.1
Sync Type: Desktop application

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @MarkWieczorek!

I believe this might have been a related issue, which was addressed in 1Password 7.8, so I wonder if it will help in your scenario as well. Can you try updating to the latest version and see if that helps in your case too?

• MarkWieczorek
    MarkWieczorek
    Community Member
    Options

I just updated to 7.8 and so far this seems to work. Thanks! I'll report back if I have any problems when I test my other computers next week.

• @MarkWieczorek

Sounds good.

This discussion has been closed.