On my MacBook Air, 1PW 7.7 wants to update to 7.8 but can't complete the process.

garyaustin
garyaustin
Community Member

On my MacBook Air (Big Sur 11.2.3), 1PW notifies me it wants to update. But when I tell it to, it almost completes, then says it wants to close the app which it does but then it comes back and says it cannot update, try again later. But same thing over 2 days. (Updated fine on my iMac and my IOS devices.) I restarted my MacBook but that did not help.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:1PW will not update on my Macbook

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @garyaustin!

Can you please post a screenshot of the error message that you are seeing?

• garyaustin
    garyaustin
    Community Member

• garyaustin
    garyaustin
    Community Member

This time, this was all I got. It tried to download/install but then gave me this message. Previously, it first said it wanted to close the app (which appeared to be closed) then eventually gave me this.

• garyaustin
    garyaustin
    Community Member

In the Mac App Store, it tries to update, then stalls and I get a note telling me to press continue to close the app. Nada. Then I got a message telling me it could not close the app. So I force quit 1PW and tried to update again. I got a message telling me it could not download the app. Tried again. Got the message you see above again. So, try as I might, it will not update, at least through the Mac App Store. Suggestions?

• kebel87
    kebel87
    Community Member

Same problem here :(

• @kebel87 @garyaustin

Make sure to quit Safari and look for our helper in the menu bar near the WiFi indicator and the clock. Right-click (option-click) on the helper and select quit 1Password completely. Update from the Mac App Store.

The update should proceed. If that fails to get the update going, let's give replacing the app a go.

1. Quit all open web browsers.
    2. Look for our helper in the menu bar near the WiFi indicator and the clock. Right-click on the helper and select quit 1Password completely.
    3. Drag 1Password from the Applications folder to the Trash. Do not use an "app cleaner" or "uninstaller" tool to remove the app or additional files. If prompted, enter the password you use to sign in to your Mac.
    4. Restart the Mac.
    5. Download the latest version of 1Password from the 1Password website.
    6. Quit any open web browsers and then install 1Password.
    7. Open and unlock 1Password before opening your web browser.
  • bafrank
    bafrank
    Community Member
    edited March 2021

Me too! This has been going on for a couple of days.

• @bafrank

Did either method I posted above work for you?

• garyaustin
    garyaustin
    Community Member

Yes, thank you. Sorry for taking so long to get back. I had already tried completely closing the app so I deleted and re-downloaded it as you suggested. The first time I tried to install I got an "Installation Failed" error message but when I tried it again it installed successfully, asked me to sign in and that was all there was to it. Thanks for the great support.

• @garyaustin

You're welcome.

No worries about the time. It's the weekend, after all. :chuffed: I'm glad to hear it worked out. As to the installer failure error, we have had a few reports of that message, and we're looking into why it's being displayed. Everyone, including my self who experienced it was able to open 1Password from the Applications folder without issue.

This discussion has been closed.