Chrome extension install loop when hitting Cmd-\

Options
paynetc
paynetc
Community Member
edited March 2021 in 1Password in the Browser

I've got an Apple Silicon (M1) MacBook Air running Big Sur 11.2 and Chrome 89.0.4389.72. I've installed the Chrome extension -- the icon is visible in the toolbar and https://support.1password.com/1password-browser-troubleshooting/ says the extension is installed -- but any time I hit cmd-\ to try to log in to a site, 1Password in macOS's menubar drops down with a big button that says "Add 1Password to Chrome." When I click that, I'm taken to a page that asks if I want to remove the extension.

1Password appears to work normally in Safari, so this is... weird. I've quit Chrome and 1Password and relaunched them. I've tried removing the Chrome extension and re-adding it. No joy. Any other ideas?

Edit to add: Very curious... whatever the thing that pops over the login fields (which, for what it's worth, I do not like at all and would prefer to disable entirely) appears to be filling passwords. But cmd-\ does not work.

1Password Version: 7.7
Extension Version: 1.23.1
OS Version: 11.2
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• paynetc
    paynetc
    Community Member
    Options

Since posting, I've also tried opening Chrome in Rosetta, removing the 1Password extension, and reinstalling the extension. Same result as above -- when I hit cmd-\, the menubar app asks me to install 1Password in Chrome, even though it's already installed.

• @payntec

The extension you have installed is likely 1Password in the browser (formerly 1Password X), not our classic extension. It does not integrate directly with the Mac app, where the classic extension does. The newer extension is capable of working independently without the Mac app. With that said, the 1Password helper at the top our your screen has no knowledge of the newer 1Password extension. That is why you see the message to add the extension.

You'll likely want to switch over to the classic extension. Get the 1Password classic extension

• If you want to stay with the current extension you would need to use its shortcut. That being Shift + Command + X.

• paynetc
    paynetc
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_tommy , that's definitely it! Removed 1Password "in the browser" extension and installed the "classic" extension. Solved the problem. Thanks!

From a user perspective, this was all quite confusing. Extensions are always "in the browser," so that nomenclature isn't self-evident. And while the "classic" link is under the install links that the 1Password app points to (1Password -> Install browser extensions), there's no discussion on that page or on the install classic page that says what the differences are.

Is the "classic" extension deprecated? I really hope not!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@paynetc:

We are still offering both, but I would imagine we will have only one in the future, exactly to avoid this sort of confusion. All of the development is going towards the newer 1Password in the browser extension however, so that will become the main one.

Is there anything from the classic extension that you like more?

• paynetc
    paynetc
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_ana the classic extension does not require the secret key to use. It’s not all that hard to find, but it is harder than simply using my, you know, one password to unlock my password manager that’s already a native app.

I didn’t do feature comparisons because I just assumed everything was broken when the cmd-\ shortcut resulted in the menubar app telling me to install the extension despite it being installed.

Is there a knowledge base article explaining the differences? If the only difference is that I wouldn’t need to have the app installed, no thanks. I always have 1Password installed.

Also, I use multiple browsers. The keyboard shortcut has to be the same between them or my brain breaks.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@paynetc:

You can use the same keyboard shortcut in every browser (that is what I also do), but you need to make sure that you are using the same extension :+1: We don't have a comparison between the two, but we have a specific page that details how the new extension works, and what features it has:

Is there a knowledge base article explaining the differences?

I don't believe we have one, sorry :(

If the only difference is that I wouldn’t need to have the app installed, no thanks. I always have 1Password installed.

Me too! I always have the 1Password app installed. I still use the newest extension though, I think it works better for me, I like the way it shows my credentials directly below the form fields :)

• paynetc
    paynetc
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_ana
    That’s very much a feature I do not want, and I turn it off. I never want my password manager to obscure website content in an attempt to be helpful.

There are too many sites where the credentials displayed over login fields hide things that I either need to read or need to interact with (eg, a checkbox near the login fields). There are also sites where I have multiple accounts, and the overlays don’t work well for those. Any sort of overlay is a feature I fight with more than get helped by.

Basically, I want my password manager to be unseen until it’s invoked.

I may be weird in this, but if so I’m not alone. My wife was going to uninstall 1Password due to the overlay feature until I turned it off for her!

I don’t mean to sound too negative. 1Password is crucial to me at this point, and I’ve used it for a long time. I love a lot of the direction it’s gone in recent years and I know you folks put a lot of effort into making great software.

But putting UI over website content is a thanks-but-no-thanks for me. And the extension conflict with the menubar app, the thing that started this thread, it feels like that shouldn’t have made it past testing.

• Hello @paynetc,

You can, of course, hide the 1Password inline menu from appearing automatically on Safari and only invoke it when you need by opening the 1Password app > Select 1Password 7 in the menu bar > preferences > Browsers > Untick the "Show inline menu in Safari" to turn off both the inline icon and the menu, or you can turn off the "Automatically show inline menu when selecting a field" option, which is the best option in my opinion.

If you use the new password on other browsers, you can turn it off by right-clicking the 1Password X icon in browser toolbar => Settings => Scroll down to "Autofill" => Turn off "Show autofill menu on field focus".

• sensor_shield
    sensor_shield
    Community Member
    Options

paynetc:

I could not agree more. The brilliance of the app was that it was invisible until summoned. The new UI is very disappointing. The Chrome extension "in the browser"(?) continues to cause pop-ups next to the fields in which my credentials would go. Worse, my command + \ keyboard shortcut appears to no longer work. Rather than autofilling the credentials like it has for years, my Mac's top menubar opens a pop up to tell me to download a Chrome extension. I already have TWO chrome extensions installed! Neither the extension "in the browser" nor the "classic extension" (or any permutation of the two) allow me to use a keyboard shortcut to instantly autofill my credentials. Unless I am missing something obvious (which is very possible) this seems like a dramatic step backward from what honestly has been a life-changing piece of software. I really hope I'm just missing something obvious here....

• paynetc
    paynetc
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks @Nhat_Nguyen. That's helpful!

@ag_ana, I went back through the get to know 1Password in your browser page, and I'm not seeing anything there that I can't do with the "classic" extension. Seems like maybe it's just showing the autofill menu on field focus?

@sensor_shield: Uninstalling the "in the browser" Chrome extension and installing the "classic" extension resolved that issue for me. It might take quitting/relaunching Chrome in between removal and install.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@paynetc:

You also get a new design, password suggestions directly in the inline menu, a new filling brain and drag and drop support in desktop apps, for example :+1:

• BlueRedGreen
    BlueRedGreen
    Community Member
    edited March 2021
    Options

It would be great if we could use the new extension with Command-'\'. Using something else to fill in passwords will require major muscle-memory work.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @BlueRedGreen ,

The new extension doesn't require keyboard shortcuts at all - it shows up on its own inside usernames/passwords fields on websites you visit, making it super easy to autofill and use 1Password. Take it for a spin and see for yourself: https://support.1password.com/getting-started-browser/ :chuffed:

• BlueRedGreen
    BlueRedGreen
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_yaron that is a cool feature, but I've been pressing Command-'\' for years to autocomplete fields. Would be great if the new extension also supported that.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I hear you @BlueRedGreen .

Perhaps when we release the integration feature that would allow the extension to connect to the desktop app that would be possible.
    Keep your apps up to date and stay tuned :)

• paynetc
    paynetc
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_yaron, any advice for how to deal with multiple logins for a site and the inline menu?

• AltmanSoftware
    AltmanSoftware
    Community Member
    Options

This has been very frustrating to me as well. I am very happy with how the classic extension works; changing the short-cut has been painful. What is worse is that two of my systems have the classic extension and one has the newer extension and I have pulling my hair out trying to find out why it changed AND why I can't find the classic extension on the chrome site.

Now that I have read this, it makes sense.

Is it possible to make the new extension work with Cmd-\ ??

I also appreciated the fact that the extension knows when I have unlocked the app.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @paynetc ,
    What is the issue exactly with multiple logins for a specific website? 1Password shows up inside the username/password field and suggest all relevant logins, so you can pick the one you need. Is something not working correctly for you there?

@AltmanSoftware Thanks for the feedback. We're working hard towards creating a unified experience throughout all browsers and platforms, and we're just in a bit of a transition period right now. You can set CMD+\ to be the shortcut of the new extension, but you'll have to change that shortcut in the 1Password desktop app's preferences because you can't have both set to the same shortcut, as both will trigger and will cause confusion.

• paynetc
    paynetc
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_yaron totally possible that I missed it before I rage-quit the new extension and installed classic. I’ll give it a shot when I have time to test.

But in general, I prefer to disable the inline menu. As described in this thread, I never want website content obscured by an extension. It’s also fast-fast-fast to hit the keyboard shortcut, have 1Password’s UI appear in a predictable place, navigate to the correct login with arrow keys, hit enter. Navigating to an inline menu, which will appear in various places due to differences in web design, will feel slower and may actually be marginally slower. I also have several sites that are parsed as multiple websites, so I’m hitting the keyboard shortcut then searching 1P for those. The inline menu would provide a pretty small mousing target to hit for those (again in various locations).

I am probably just an old man yelling at the cloud about all this, since I have similar feelings about other software (eg, Microsoft Office) that has moved toward providing menus that appear over content.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    edited March 2021
    Options

Hey @paynetc ,
    Trust me, it was (and still is) really hard for me to break old habits, and the transition to the new 1Password in the browser was not an easy one for me. I was addicted to CMD+\ .

You can definitely disable the inline menu if it bothers you. Your workflow should still be quite similar (minus the different shortcut):

• Press CMD+SHIFT+X to bring up 1Password.
    • Start typing the name of the login/website you need, it will find it within the first few characters you type.
    • Hit Enter when you find it. 1Password will take you there and autofill (or just autofill if you're already there).

It's not THAT different, but these little changes can definitely be too much to handle if we're not in the mood to give something new a chance ;)

• AltmanSoftware
    AltmanSoftware
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_yaron What is the advantage of changing when you are on a computer with 1Password application installed?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@AltmanSoftware:

I think it's also a subjective thing, but personally I like that 1Password now shows up directly below the login forms, so I don't even have to use the keyboard shortcut. It is also able to enter credentials automatically, which I find very convenient for the accounts where I have 2FA enabled for example (once I get on the 2FA page, the new extension enters the correct 2FA code automatically as soon as the page loads).

This discussion has been closed.