Disabling weak password warning

Options
dcarver
dcarver
Community Member

I'm finding the weak password warning pretty useless as it's constantly flagging passwords as weak and easy to guess, which clearly are not. An example is "fgHrtw32". This is definitely not weak, nor easy to guess. Unfortunately, what this does is make me completely ignore the weak password feature because it's not accurate. Is there a way to disable this so it's at least not showing up?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @dcarver!

That's a very short password, so I think that's why Watchtower is bringing it up to your attention. If you create longer passwords, and perhaps also with a symbol added to it, Watchtower will increase the grade of those passwords to something more than "weak" :+1:

• dcarver
    dcarver
    Community Member
    Options

Hm, I don't see how an 8-character, random letter and random number password warrants a big red warning banner. That's just simply not a weak password. Most websites don't have higher than an 8 character minimum on their password rule. Is there any way this feature can be shut off (even if it's a hidden terminal command or something)? If not, I'd like to suggest it as an option.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@dcarver:

Absolutely, I have passed your feedback to the developers :+1: At the moment this is not possible, but I know this has been requested in the past, so I have added your voice to the discussion.

ref: dev/projects/customer-feature-requests#130

• yohst
    yohst
    Community Member
    Options

Just to add to this; some sites/systems hand out a password to you that cannot be reset (yes we can all question how smart that is but it happens). Some of those are short or fail the 1P "weak" vs "strong" password checks. It is very annoying to have that nagging nanny check - wish it could be turned off on a per sign-in case.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thank you for sharing your thoughts about this as well @yohst, I have added you to the list too :+1:

• dcarver
    dcarver
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_ana Thank you

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

You are welcome :+1:

This discussion has been closed.