1Password Standalone License and Brave Browser

Options
[Deleted User]
[Deleted User]
Community Member
edited March 2021 in 1Password in the Browser

Hi.

I installed 1Password extension on Brave browser but I cannot figure how to make it work because it remains locked and requests me to login into 1Password.com, however I have a stand alone license.

In Safari the extension is ready to use, in Brave things seem more complicated.

Thanks for your help.
Bruno

1Password Version: 1Password 7 Version 7.8 (70800000)
Extension Version:_1.23.1
_OS Version:
macOS 11.2.3
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member
    Options

My mistake, in fact I installed the version of 1Password X which was the search result.

1Password was the right extension, which did not show in the result though.
    https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/1password-extension-deskt/aomjjhallfgjeglblehebfpbcfeobpgk/related

• Hey @Bruno92 - We're glad to hear you were able to locate the 1Password classic extension. Let us know if you have any trouble!

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_chantelle Yes but I dont know if it is Agilebits or Google, because it is impossible to find the extension if you dont have the direct link. Not cool...

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @Bruno92 ,

The 1Password Classic extension's link is only available via our website's download page: https://1password.com/downloads/mac/#browsers
    You cannot find it in Chrome's webstore by simple searching for it.

It is the correct extension and you should be good to go with it :)

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member
    edited March 2021
    Options

Hello @ag_yaron

It is after extensive search that I found it in the forum: https://1password.community/discussion/100110/i-purchased-a-standalone-license-years-ago

The one you are refering is for 1Password subscription users and not for stand alone license users.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @Bruno92

This is the one I'm referring to in our downloads page:

That is the link to the 1Password Classic extension, which works with a standalone license :+1:

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member
    edited March 2021
    Options

Thanks.
    It's a shame that it's not better advertised and referred for the stand alone license.
    IMHO 1Password 7 is not classic vs the online application version. Just a different pricing model. Even if Agilebits doesn't like very much the stand alone one.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @Bruno92 ,
    I can definitely understand where you're coming from, and there are definitely users who prefer the standalone version, but the simple fact is that the membership service is a much more comprehensive product that provides a better 1Password experience overall.

You can keep using the Classic version but I'd really suggest you take the free 14-day trial of the membership for a spin, if you haven't so far :)

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_yaron I respect your opinion.
    However I belong to users group who simply refuse and complain about the subscription model that Apple pushed everywhere. Obviously having a 30%-15% recurrent revenu is better for certain companies, which makes them confortable and lazy in this model because they do not need to reinvent themselves to re-sale a new license.

Working in a Big 4 firms, it is a problem we have between the auditors, who are confortable for years with their recurrent revenu model and the consultants who must hunt for new business and build new offerings to stay beyond competoitors.

Also, I am not a neophyte and I am using and bought 1Password since version 3. The UX is perfect and Agilebits marketing communication won't change my mind. SaaS model may be of interest for B2B business but not for B2C IMHO.

Anyway, when I am forced to subscribe, I just switch to another application.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    edited March 2021
    Options

Thank you for the additional input here @Bruno92 .
    I definitely respect your opinion and understand where you're coming from.

I do hope you'll see the benefits of our cloud service (which we built from the ground up, specifically for 1Password with privacy and security in mind), saving a lot of trouble and confusion of 3rd party syncing services, but I know it may not be for everyone.
    Selling licenses caused a lot of issues to a lot of users, as they were often left behind with an outdated app and had to pay every 2-3 years a hefty sum of money for a new license. All of these pain points were resolved with our membership service which is cheaper than licenses in the long term, and yes, it also allowed us to expand and grow quicker, and build more awesome stuff for different types of users :)

Thank you again for the feedback here, much appreciated.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member
    Options

@ay_yaron

Le's be honest here, shall we?

1Password 7 has been released in May 2018.
    A membership license is $3 a month or $36 a year.
    I paid $50 for a standalone license.
    Subscribing to a monthly membership would have cost me $108 next May 2021.
    There is no need here to calculate a TCO here, isn't?

Please, like I say to my clients, always consider your customers more clever than you think, because they know better and loyalty is hard to get.
    Hiding the standalone model on your website is not honest and will not change the opinion of some people. On the contrary, it will only be more reinforced.

No company is immune to a backlash. And if the market cannot make a company bend, the legislator will take care of it, cf. GAFA USA and UE lawsuits. Time will tell... and I am confident that their arrogance will change.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    Options

We're always honest @Bruno92 ,

The standard average price of 1Password licenses (when not on a special sale) is around $60-$80 USD, and there were times we released a new version every year or two. 1Password 7 has been with us for quite a while though, that is true.

Everything I shared here was from our experience with different method and approaches we took over the years, and we've always had our users' satisfaction and best interests as a top priority. We also always listen to feedback and it is the reason why we're the best password manager in the world. We wouldn't be here without users feedback!

Thank you again for the constructive criticism and input. I'll forward it to the right channels :+1:

This discussion has been closed.