1Password keeps locking

I really like 1Password and I use it on my iMac with the latest Edge version. One thing that is really annoying that it gets locked all the time even when I set automatic lock to disable. I consider my iMac save at my home so I would like to have a switch that it never ever locks again unless I tell it to.

1Password Version: 7.7.1
Extension Version: 1.23.0
OS Version: 11.3
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Hey @stephan1827 ,

1Password in your browser is limited to the environment of your browser, meaning that if you quit the browser completely (or restart/shutdown the computer), it will kill 1Password's session immediately, regardless of the auto-lock settings. If you want 1Password to remain unlocked, simply use the red X button on the top left corner of Edge to close Edge's window, and it will keep Edge running in the background without you quitting it completely.

Also, let's make sure that you've disabled the auto-lock properly:

1. Right click the 1Password icon on the top right corner of your Edge's toolbar (might be hiding inside a little puzzle piece icon) and select "Settings".
    2. Turn off "Automatically lock 1Password".
    3. Test and see if 1Password still locks up (but do not quit Edge or restart/shutdown the computer).

Let me know if that helps.

• stephan1827
    stephan1827
    Community Member

Thx for the quick response, I still dont understand why this can not be persistent when I close browser. The are other settings that it remembers just fine.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Hey @stephan1827 ,

Extensions cannot continue working when you close the browser, and are killed as soon as you close it. We cannot keep 1Password unlocked when you quit the browser without keeping your Master Password somewhere on your hard drive, which is a big no-no from our security standpoint.

We are, however, working on integrating 1Password in the browser with our desktop app, which will allow you to keep 1Password unlocked even when you close the browser, and it will remain unlocked for as long as the desktop app is unlocked. They will share that state regardless of the browser's activity.

So keep your apps up to date and stay tuned :)

• x_x
    x_x
    Community Member

I'm confused. I thought it was already integrated in previous versions (before 1Password X was a thing). This seems like a step back in terms of functionality. What happened?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@x_x:

The integration was temporarily removed while our developers work on replacing it with something that works even better. Please see this announcement here in the forum for all the details:

Temporarily removing Desktop App Integration

• hansvandekoot
    hansvandekoot
    Community Member

Hi @ag_yaron . I find that my 1password extension locks even if I do NOT exit the browser. According to my settings it should only autolock when my computer sleeps, but my computer is set not to sleep and doesn't). This annoying behaviour, because I keep having to type in my rather complicated password. Any ideas?

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Hey @hansvandekoot ,

When you go to 1Password's settings in the browser, what do the security settings look like? Is the auto-lock timer disabled completely? Or is it set to 10 minutes or so?

• hansvandekoot
    hansvandekoot
    Community Member

Hello @ag_yaron . Sorry I'm new to 1password, and had not figured out that there are separate security settings in the plugin and in the app itself. I've just changed the settings and fingers crossed that things are ok now. Thank you for your (very quick) response.

• On behalf of Yaron, you're welcome. Welcome to the family. We hope you'll enjoy it. If you have any questions, please let us know.

• nunya_biznas
    nunya_biznas
    Community Member

Hi,

I don't find this to be true. I love 1password and I was a lastpass user for years and the chrome extension never locked.

It had an option to "never lock" and you could close chrome browser, reset computer, turn it off and it wouldn't affect the plugin at all.

This feature I miss the most since switching over.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Hey @nunya_biznas ,

This is a feature we're working on by allowing 1Password to integrate with the desktop app, but until this feature is released, you can either keep unlocking 1Password when required, or you can switch to our 1Password Classic extension, which does connect to the desktop app and remains unlocked for as long as the desktop app is unlocked: https://support.1password.com/cs/1password-classic-extension/

The downside of 1Password Classic is that it won't show up on its own inside usernames/password fields and you'll have to interact with the extension's icon directly.

• nunya_biznas
    nunya_biznas
    Community Member

Hey,

thanks I will try the classic extension as I would rather click the icon for passwords than have to enter the password every time to unlock.

Thanks

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Sounds good @nunya_biznas :+1:

• nunya_biznas
    nunya_biznas
    Community Member

Hi,

Just an update to anyone else reading this or looking for a solution to this problem.

I would HIGHLY RECOMMEND going back to the classic extension. It functions way way better than the 1password x extension.

The way it handles passwords is 100times better the way it inputs or the way it saves new passwords this is really good. The only thing missing is the option to select the password in the password field but clicking on the icon and selecting the password takes no time at all and is 1000x worth downgrading. I don't think I would ever go back to the new one.

Only thing I would change is maybe have the icon in the username/password fields and we can click on that and select the password.

either way its a better extension. IMHO

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for the feedback on this @nunya_biznas, I am sure our developers will find it useful as they continue working on this :+1:

• mcgyver74
    mcgyver74
    Community Member

Any update on this? I just started using this product and I have to say it's really annoying compared to other password mgrs I have used, feels like it locks constantly so I enter my unlock password multiple times.. (For Poops and grins I kept count today and I am up to 25 times today because I constantly recycle browsers while I am working) There has to be a way to fix this, i have a security key on my PC, and it would be MUCH easier if the extension and desktop app can recognize I have the key and just ask me to touch the key. This is really painful

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Hey @mcgyver74 ,
    As suggested above, you can try using 1Password Classic in your browsers: https://support.1password.com/cs/1password-classic-extension/

As long as the 1Password desktop app is unlocked, 1Password Classic will remain unlocked across all browsers even if you close the browsers.

• andrewhlr
    andrewhlr
    Community Member

I'm eagerly awaiting the aforementioned update that keeps the X extension unlocked. I use Chrome Canary, which gets updates daily. The problem this creates for me is every time the browser restarts to update, I have to re-unlock the extension.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

I definitely hear ya @andrewhlr .

Having the extension unlocked after a browser update is definitely a very pleasant experience.

• deBronkart
    deBronkart
    Community Member

I'll pitch in to buy a big dead fish and use it to smack the side of the head of whoever thought this was a good idea. :-)

Seriously! I'm another LastPass user who switched and was thrilled until this MAJOR INCONVENIENCE was introduced by some fool who had too many espressos during some sprint. JEEZ you people: you encourage us to use complicated passwords and then you make us enter them multiple times a day??? What were you thinking??

At LEAST let me shut it off, instead of limiting me to 300 minutes max.

Until then, it's the classic extension for me ... and before I accept any further upgrades I'll check the fine print. (I don't recall being warned that this behavior was going to happen but maybe I missed it.)

• deBronkart
    deBronkart
    Community Member

Thanks very much, btw, to whoever decided to keep the "classic" version viable. I've seen situations where a vendor decided to disable the old one that people liked, so I'm grateful that my sanity has just been restored. Much appreciated.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Seems like you are a bit out of the loop @deBronkart . The last comment in this discussion is more than two months old and things have changed since.

The integration feature was already released and you can enjoy it right now. 1Password will remain unlocked for as long as the desktop app is unlocked (and you can tell it to remain unlocked in the app's settings -> Security).

• deBronkart
    deBronkart
    Community Member
    edited June 2021

Well excuse ME for being out of the loop. There seem to be a ton of discussions floating around here that never got updated with this news. My bad for just browsing, I guess!

FWIW, when I searched this topic in the Help before posting here, your highly valuable answer did not emerge. I tried ...

(Is there a way to go back and identify which version I just removed, in my history somewhere? And is there a version history where I can understand the sequence of this issue?)

I hope this product doesn't devolve into one of those things where one might not be smart enough to have a good user experience on their own.

Thank you for this important information.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2021

Hey @deBronkart ,
    We don't expect users to actively follow development and always be aware of what's new, but you definitely can if you'd like!

Big announcements are often posted here in the top of each community forum according to the relevant subject. In addition, when this feature was released, every user that had 1Password in the browser installed (not 1Password classic) got a big popup window with a blog post about this new feature. Here's the post: https://blog.1password.com/big-changes-to-1password-in-the-browser/

You can keep track of our blog in the link above, or even check our update logs for your relevant apps/extensions here: https://app-updates.agilebits.com/
    If you are not already signed up for our newsletter, that is also a great way to get such information directly into your email: https://1password.com/newsletter/

We're always here to help so asking around in the forum is also a perfectly excellent way of learning whats new :chuffed: :+1:

• deBronkart
    deBronkart
    Community Member

Thank you for this useful info. I remember seeing that pop-up, but FWIW since I don't care about dark mode and this Mac doesn't have biometrics, I had no CLUE that my whole daily experience was about to change dramatically. Perhaps it would have been useful to alert people to that, especially considering how many threads there are here about it.

I'd also note that this change isn't mentioned in that blog post. (For that matter I can't find it anywhere on the new What's New list.) To help me understand what I'm missing, can you point me to it?

This is so puzzling: how many new features FORCE a major change in daily user experience? Yet I'm not seeing it in the change log. Thanks for any help.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@deBronkart:

(For that matter I can't find it anywhere on the new What's New list.) To help me understand what I'm missing, can you point me to it?

The integration with the desktop app was mentioned in the release notes of 1Password in the browser version 2.0.0:

1Password in the browser can now integrate with 1Password for Mac, Windows, and Linux.

• deBronkart
    deBronkart
    Community Member
    edited June 2021

Thanks, but I'm talking about the oft-cited-here unexpected intrusion of having to re-enter my password many times a day. That's a big deal UX issue, which might seem obvious to those on the inside but is quite a speed bump to users, and seems not to have been announced. Or again am I missing something?

(So far all the things where I'm "not in the loop," as someone said upstream, don't include the thing we're all saying was a surprise! So I'm trying to find out if we were told or if it was overlooked.)

Like, it might have said "NOTE: this means that if you do (or don't do) X, you'll be asked to unlock 1Password."

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@deBronkart:

If the issue is having to unlock 1Password multiple times a day, integration with the desktop app helps you address that, since at that point you can configure the auto-lock settings in the main app itself, and you won't have to enter the Master Password in the browser all the time (the typical complaint in the past was that even if the main 1Password app was unlocked, the browser extension would be locked after quitting the browser, for example).

• chenmyu
    chenmyu
    Community Member

I can't stop 1password from auto locking. It's incredibly annoying. How can I get this to stop.

Overall, 1password is pretty terrible so far.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Hey @chenmyu ,

Although you didn't provide us with information on your setup, I'll assume you're using the latest version of the extension and the desktop app, in which case you can try right-clicking the extension's icon on the top right corner of your browser's toolbar and select "Settings", then adjust the auto-lock settings under the "Security section at the top.

If the security section has no options in it and says that these settings are handled via the app, then open the 1Password desktop app on your computer, go to its preferences/settings and select the "Security" tab, then adjust it there as you see fit.

This discussion has been closed.