Adobe Flash-based Logins cannot be supported

I belong to a fraternal organization that is now requiring a log-in and password to access newsletters. When I log-in with the user name and password supplied to me, I'm not given the option to create an entry by 1Password. I've done the following to manually create a log-in:

1. Entered my user name and password, did not submit form.
2. Clicked the 1Password button in Safari's toolbar and selected the "+" button.

This did nothing so there was no changes to be made.

I then created a new log-in in "Logins" within 1Password.
I copied and pasted the url in the appropriate box and entered the user name and password. I then saved and closed.

When I go to sight and click the 1Password button it shows the appropriate login but doesn't fill the form. I have to manually enter the info and click the "submit" button.

The log-in website looks a little primitive compared to most. Should 1Password work on this website or could it be a problem with the log-in page?

Thanks,
Doug

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Hi Doug,

Sorry that you are having some trouble. It is going to be hard to help unless you can provide the URL. You can send it to me in a PM if you would prefer to not post it publicly (though it shouldn't make much of a difference since the URL is available on a public server anyway). :)

Could you also let me know what versions of 1Password, browser, and 1Password browser extension you are using? All three of those version numbers will be important.

Thanks in advance!
  • Doug in Alaska
    Doug in Alaska
    Community Member
    Thanks Khad, I appreciate your help.

URL is: http://palmerelks.org/newsletters.htm

I've been using 1Password for a long time and have never experienced this problem. Also, when I open 1Password on my iPad and try to access this site, I get a 'Not Found' error.

Thanks again.
  • Doug in Alaska
    Doug in Alaska
    Community Member
    Got the web-site access fixed on the iPad 2 but the log-in/password dialog box doesn't show. Sorry, probably should have asked the iPad question in the appropriate area.
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited March 2012
    Thanks for posting the URL, Doug. I can see immediately what the problem is. It is causing both the trouble on your desktop and iPad.

I had asked for your versions of 1Password, browser, and 1Password browser extension, but those won't be necessary anymore.

The problem is that the site is using Adobe Flash for the login form.

1Password is unable to save and restore Logins for sites that use Adobe Flash. As far as we know, no browser password manager anywhere supports Flash-based sites because Flash is a proprietary solution. At this time, Adobe does not offer interface tools for developers to plug into Flash in the way that 1Password and other form fillers require.

After working with a Flash consultant and reviewing the latest APIs provided by Adobe we found it is still not possible unless websites modify their code to allow it.

Most websites realize the problems with using Flash and provide a standard HTML login page as well. If you cannot find one, the only workaround is to save the username and password in 1Password, then open the 1Password extension when you visit the site, click the right arrow, and copy and paste your password.

Mobile devices such as iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad are unable to view Flash content, so that is why you are also having trouble on your iPad.

I'm sorry I don't have a better answer, but you may wish to contact the webmaster of the site and suggest to them that they use a non-proprietary login form with standard HTML instead of Adobe Flash.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can help with.
  • Doug in Alaska
    Doug in Alaska
    Community Member
    khad wrote:

Thanks for posting the URL, Doug. I can see immediately what the problem is. It is causing both the trouble on your desktop and iPad.

I had asked for your versions of 1Password, browser, and 1Password browser extension, but those won't be necessary anymore.

Sorry, I blew past your request for my version info. Ok thanks, damn Adobe Flash continues to cause problems. My wife also hates it, can't watch videos, on her iPad, of the grandkids posted on daughter-in-law's Facebook.

Thanks much for your help,
    Doug
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    It seems to be causing more and more problems lately. Adobe has officially stopped supporting it on mobile devices (after initially complaining that it wasn't supported in iOS). Sorry that it also affects your ability to see videos of your grandkids. :S

Hopefully Facebook and other websites will move forward into the future and drop the aging, proprietary technology.
  • Doug in Alaska
    Doug in Alaska
    Community Member
    I passed your suggestions along to the webmaster. Unfortunately, she doesn't have a clue what I'm talking about. Unfortunately, I don't know enough about what I'm talking about to help her! Ha, oh well, this is the only web-site I'm having a problem with logging in to. I can deal with it.

Thanks much for your suggestions and help.
  • Hey Doug,

Here's an article in our user guide that discusses the Flash issue, and it mentions that many web designers are adding an HTML login page as well. Perhaps this will help her understand what we are talking about:

Unable to Create/Save a Login When Using Adobe Flash

As I am not a website designer, I often search for explanations of why Flash is not preferred by many in the industry. Here are a couple of more articles that you may find interesting. If nothing else, you'll know more about what you are talking about when you inquire the second time around. :)

8 reasons to avoid Flash (or Silverlight) like the plague when designing a website

Flash Websites - Pros and Cons

Flash: 99% Bad

I hope this helps a little.

Cheers!

Brandt
  • Chris White
    Chris White
    Community Member
    Honestly, not supporting Flash is the altruistic thing to do, there's a lot of good reasons that Apple rejected Flash and Microsoft isn't planning to support it in the metro Internet Explorer for Windows 8. I know it can be inconvenient now but in my opinion it's a small sacrifice for better accessibility, compatibility and performance.
This discussion has been closed.