Watchtower is great and useless at the same time

Options
DexM
DexM
Community Member
edited March 2021 in Lounge

Hi!

The idea for the Watchtower is really great, I really like it. However it became pretty much useless for me. Why? Because I store my PINs in 1Password. That means that have tens of warnings about vulnerable and weak passwords. Duh, of course they are, I can't use strong secure password for my suitcase, it only accepts 3 digits PIN 😄 And having so many warnings made me stop caring about them.

So yea, it would be very helpful to be able to mark passwords as PINs and exclude them from Watchtower report (as I'm pretty sure it has all 6 digit PINs in its database by now 😄).

Also seeing "Terrible" score next to my pin is a bit annoying. Yea, I'm that kind of person 🙂

Anyway, have a good day and keep up a great work!

1Password Version: 7.8
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 11.2.3
Sync Type: 1Password subscription

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @DexM!

Thank you for your feedback! I have passed it to the developers for future consideration, I know this has been requested before :+1:

ref: dev/projects/customer-feature-requests#130

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member
    edited March 2021
    Options

@DexM I store my PINs as text rather than passwords. There isn't any downside as 1Password can't autofill my suitcase lock in any case :smile:

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Indeed, that is also an option :)

• williakz
    williakz
    Community Member
    Options

@missingbits, what type of 1Password entry (login, document, etc.) to you use to store your PINs?

• DexM
    DexM
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the idea! I've tried creating password entry with no password but with 1 additional field. I've set type to password, generated new PIN, then changed the type to text before saving. Seems like a good compromise. The only drawback is that those pins are always visible (unlike passwords, which are hidden by default). But overall - very good idea, thanks!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

That's great to hear @DexM :)

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member
    Options

@williakz I have a mixture. If its associated with a bank account then I add a text field to the bank Login item, similar to the way @DexM describes. If its not associated with any Login item then I'll just create a Secure Note.

• williakz
    williakz
    Community Member
    Options

@missingbits, thanks for the nifty idea. I'll definitely play around with it. Must be true that there's a place for every odd and end...

This discussion has been closed.