How can I stop 1Password X from asking me to "Click OK to fill your 1Password item on..."?

It is very annoying to have this pop-up occur every time 1Password wants to fill in something simple like my email address from my identity. This seems like new behavior. I hope there's a way to turn this annoyance off. Thanks.

1Password Version: 7.3.2
Extension Version: 1.18.0
OS Version: OS X 10.13.3
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Click OK to fill your 1Password item on

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Discloop! Welcome to the forum!

Can you please share a screenshot of this message with us? If you could also give us an example of a website where this is happening it would be very useful too. Thank you!

• tedder
    tedder
    Community Member

I'm seeing it too. It doesn't seem to be site specific, I think it appears any time I'm inserting a credit card.

Chrome 79,80 on Linux.

• tedder
    tedder
    Community Member
    edited February 2020

Here it is on the 1password site itself.

• Discloop
    Discloop
    Community Member

Here's an example from TARGET.COM. I was trying to create an account starting with my email address from my 1Password identity.

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

Hey @Discloop and @tedder! As of now, there isn't a way to disable the prompt when filling via the 1Password X inline menu. What the prompt does is ensure that you're intentionally filling Credit Card and Identity items, whether the inline menu is hidden or not. We put a lot of effort into not requiring this prompt, as it introduces an extra step in the filling process, but found that a prompt was the simplest and safest solution for the time being. We'll continue to seek better solutions to this problem in the future. I appreciate your feedback in the meantime.

• Discloop
    Discloop
    Community Member

I am very disppointed in this explanation. Why would I need to confirm that I want a field to be filled if I have already explicitly clicked on the 1Password button to do that? Especially since I can always clear the filled information if it was, indeed, unintentional. Confirmations make perfect sense when the action might be irreversable, but that is not the case here. For $36 per year, I expect an app to assist in my productivity and not hinder it.
    I sincerely hope a better solution is found. In the meantime, I have cancelled my 1Password subscription and will look for a product that is more user friendly.

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

@Discloop – Thank you for your feedback on the subject. ❤️ You're right in that the prompt isn't terribly useful when you're able to see and click on items in the inline menu. However, the prompt is useful when the inline menu is present but made hidden by the website (or other extensions) through the adjustment of certain elements and styles. While it's unlikely, it's something we need to be aware of and take additional precautionary steps when filling from the inline menu. Filling from the 1Password X pop-up will avoid the prompt altogether since the pop-up can't be altered on the page.

I'm really sorry to hear that you've canceled your 1Password subscription because of this. It's never our intention to hinder your productivity. That being said, 1Password is a security company at its roots, and we tend to err on the side of caution when it comes to anything security related, in my experience. I know that may not always be in line with the most convenient answer, so I really do empathize with you. I've passed your feedback along to our developers, and again, I'm very grateful for you sharing your thoughts with me.

ref: dev/core/core#761

• mdm
    mdm
    Community Member

Landed here looking up that message because I hadn't seen it before. Strange that it happens when filling credit card details with 1PasswordX but not doing the same using the 1Password App itself. In any case, if anything can be done to get rid of that popup it would be a welcome improvement!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with us @mdm :+1:

• pitchshifter
    pitchshifter
    Community Member

also came looking for a reason for this - trying to fill in returns info on outlier.nyc and it's just prompting me to fill every field - but then doing nothing when I click 'OK' anyway.

...and now trying to create an account on this community to post...click on 'name', popup appears saying click OK to fill in data...then I get the drop down menu and click on my address identity...and nothing happens! I have to type in everything manually, whilst having the popup appear every form field.

The 1password UI is nicer but LastPass never gave me a popup (worst possible accessibility). Hope you can rectify this; I'll try Dashlane again in the meantime.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Sorry to hear this @pitchshifter, but we appreciate the honest feedback :+1:

• tomcoady
    tomcoady
    Community Member

I've been using 1P for over 10 years and can't remember inadvertently auto filling personal information or needing an extra step to confirm what I have just clicked.

We were told that 1P could never fill passwords from the context of the page you're on, yet this is precisely what safari does, even with bank cards.

Another annoyance is that 1P has no clue about context: when I'm filling a card form and click 1P the first option is login details.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@tomcoady:

I've been using 1P for over 10 years and can't remember inadvertently auto filling personal information or needing an extra step to confirm what I have just clicked.

Thank you for sharing your experience! I think it's good to have a precaution step for those users where this has indeed happened in the past, and potentially impacted their security. But as ag_kaitlyn said, we continue to evaluate future solutions that might work better than this, while still offering security :+1:

We were told that 1P could never fill passwords from the context of the page you're on, yet this is precisely what safari does, even with bank cards.

I am not sure I understand what you mean by this, can you please elaborate?

• tomcoady
    tomcoady
    Community Member

I think it's good to have a precaution step for those users where this has indeed happened in the past, and potentially impacted their security.

Absolutely, what are the chances after 10 years and millions of users? Bound to happen but it is so annoying it should be an option, and opted out by default.

I am not sure I understand what you mean by this, can you please elaborate?

I meant the way passwords work in Safari without any need to invoke anything outside the page.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for clarifying @tomcoady .

When it comes to security, we don't really compromise, even if the chances of something bad to occur are extremely low for most users. We'd rather be safe than sorry :)

As for Safari - the new inline menu is actually not that new - it has been around since we released the 1Password X extension for Chrome and Firefox a couple of years ago. It was just so popular that we decided to add it to Safari as well, because Safari users wanted it too. You can turn it off in 1Password 7's settings if you'd like, but I do suggest you stick to the inline menu as it makes things a lot easier.

From a security standpoint, the inline menu will only show up inside fields when 1Password is unlocked. It will not show any personal info or logins when it is locked, so that's the first and most important safeguard.
    One of the other safeguards is that it will prompt you to confirm before you autofill an identity or a credit card item, to make sure that you really did mean to autofill that info on the webpage, to prevent accidental autofilling of very personal data. :)

• tomcoady
    tomcoady
    Community Member

Sorry I hadn't noticed the inline options, probably because these are usually provided by safari's which may be displacing 1P? No doubt you frown on running both!

I thought the philosophy was to make it as easy as autofill, even where the information is personal or financial? I must admit 1P is better that safari autofill in that it adds the CVV numbers.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@tomcoady:

No doubt you frown on running both!

Indeed :D We normally recommend turning off the browser's built-in password manager:

Turn off the built-in password manager in your browser

• scottbell
    scottbell
    Community Member

Can 1password please at least give a preference choice to its users on eliminating the popup asking if we want to fill in? It slows everything down for no good reason other than the 1% of people that can't control what they type or maintain awareness of what's going on. For 99% of users, we've already manually indicated we want to fill it in by clicking the button.

Otherwise, 1Password doesn't think its users are smart enough or savvy enough to be responsible for their own security. I would say that we were smart enough to download and pay for 1password. Please add the choice for the 99% who do not need this unnecessary intrusion.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for your feedback as well @scottbell! When and if this changes, I don't think it will be a preference setting, but it is certainly an option. We will keep that in mind for the future :+1:

• 337is
    337is
    Community Member

This change is unwanted. Please implement option to toggle on/off.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    edited February 2021

Hey @337is ,
    You can toggle off the inline menu suggestions in 1Password's preferences -> Browsers.

• 337is
    337is
    Community Member

And that will prevent the need deal with the pop-up window with "Click OK to fill your 1Password item" each time?

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Sorry @337is , no.
    That will only prevent 1Password from showing up inside fields and suggest actions such as autofilling. My apologies for the confusion.

We have forwarded the feedback here to the team and this will be discussed further. Thank you for your input on this!

• ings
    ings
    Community Member
    edited February 2021

Hi,

+1 to the suggestion to make the inline filling confirmation prompt optional. I love inline filling but strongly dislike the confirmation prompt, which I see when entering credit card information, which can be annoying!

(I'm actually using macOS 1Password 7, not 1Password X, but this seems to be the thread where this was most recently discussed.)

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for chiming in @ings ! :+1:

• aokolish
    aokolish
    Community Member

The new integration with Safari is neat...but it is extremely annoying to interact with that prompt every single time I use 1password in Safari. Please make it stop. The first time I saw it, I thought it was a mistake or a one time thing. Instead, I'm stuck interacting with that thing all throughout the day. I've never once used 1password on accident in roughly eight years of using it.

Here's a quote taken directly from your website:

Our automatic form filler allows you to sign in to your online accounts with a single click, look, or touch.

Not true. It takes two clicks:
    1. tell 1password to do something
    2. confirm that you wanted 1password to do something

Look at these instructions on filling in a credit card, they don't even mention the confirmation:

Your marketing site and your instructions don't mention this last step because it's unnecessary and it's annoying.

If you don't trust us, do some usability testing. Have your designers look at it. Do something.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    edited March 2021

Thank you for the additional feedback and input here @aokolish .

It looks like we did change it in the latest 1Password update (Version 7.8) and the prompt no longer shows up when you autofill an identity item from the extension's window in Safari. Can you make sure you are on the latest version and see if you still experience this popup?

• chesterdesmond
    chesterdesmond
    Community Member

Came here looking for some logical explanation for why 1Password is a nightmare to use now. Saddened to see this hasn't been fixed. I am running 7.8 and it still requires an "OK" to the popup for every single field in a form that I have already chosen to Autofill. Please fix now!

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Hey @chesterdesmond ,

The inline menu (the one that pops up inside/under the field on a webpage) will always ask if you are sure you want to autofill your information in it, but if you open 1Password from the browser's toolbar (next to the address bar) and autofill from there, it will not ask you if you are sure.

• chesterdesmond
    chesterdesmond
    Community Member

That’s the problem: even with in-line turned completely off, the dialog still pops up after autofill. And then it continues to pop up any time I click inside a field that has been filled already. I troubleshot with my IT friend yesterday (who is a big 1Password fan), and he was left concluding it’s a big bug. If this doesn’t get fixed soon I’ll have to ditch 1Password. It’s maddening to have to click “OK” 10 times every time I try to submit a form.

This discussion has been closed.