Windows Hello

This discussion was created from comments split from: faster way to open 1password. yubikey?.

Comments

• ChrisYork
    ChrisYork
    Community Member

I just got a windows PC (been using MAC for years) and 1PW will not work with Windows Hello finger print scanner - both app and browser extension require master PW everytime

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @ChrisYork! Welcome to the forum!

Can you please make sure you have configured Windows Hello properly on this Windows PC? Here are our instructions, and some suggestions in case things don't work:

Use Windows Hello to unlock 1Password on your Windows PC

• Timmer
    Timmer
    Community Member

Is it possible to add the option to unlock the browser (Edge) extension with Hello?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@Timmer:

Yes, our developers are working on integrating the extension with this :)

• ChrisYork
    ChrisYork
    Community Member

Thanks but the finger print still doesn't work with the app

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@ChrisYork:

What version of the 1Password for Windows app, and of the browser extension are you currently running?

• ChrisYork
    ChrisYork
    Community Member

The app is 7.6.793. After switching windows hello off and back on and rebooting the finger print is now working for the app. I understand the browser extension was just installed last week from the 1PW website so very recent. On my MAC if the app is logged in then so is the browser extension - does windows work the same way? Extension is 1.23.1

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@ChrisYork:

After switching windows hello off and back on and rebooting the finger print is now working for the app.

That's great to hear!

On my MAC if the app is logged in then so is the browser extension - does windows work the same way? Extension is 1.23.1

Yes, but at the moment you need to use the classic extension for this:

Get the 1Password classic extension

The integration will come to the newer 1.23.1 extension in a future version :)

• marty317
    marty317
    Community Member

I upgraded my PC to a new Lenova L13Yoga (Win 10 pro) with a built-in fingerprint reader. I got Windows Hello to work with the 1Password Classic extensions in MS Edge, Google Chrome and Firefox after installing the 1 Password Windows 10 app, however I am very disappointed by the Classic browser extension compared with the regular 1Password plugin.
    The autofill-function in "Classic" is not very refined. One of the strengths of the regular 1Password plugin is that the same credentials can be associated with multiple domains and that you can launch a browser window with the correct domain. So I cannot wait for Windows Hello support in the updated plugin.

• Hey @marty317, I've got some good news! If you'd like to test out the newest beta versions of the 1Password desktop app and 1Password in your browser, they can share their lock state! This means that unlocking the 1Password desktop app will unlock the browser, and vice versa. This also means that you can use Windows Hello to unlock 1Password in your browser! :love:

If you'd like more details or would like to give it a go, check out this post on the Forum:

1Password Support Community - A better way to unlock

This discussion has been closed.