How could we recover the account of a dead relative? How could they bypass 2fA with emergency kit?

petero43432
petero43432
Community Member

I came from LastPass which lets you name an emergency contact that has access to your account.

I understand the emergency kit can be left with a relative for backup, but I have 2FA on my account, would 1Password let them bypass 2FA to recover the account?

Aside: Where do you store your emergency kit?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Recover dead relative account

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @petero43432! Welcome to the forum!

I understand the emergency kit can be left with a relative for backup, but I have 2FA on my account, would 1Password let them bypass 2FA to recover the account?

If you enable 2FA for your account, then it is required to enter a 2FA code to access it on a new device. Should they have access to one of your devices however, in that case they could turn off 2FA directly from within the 1Password app:

If you lose access to your authenticator app

Aside: Where do you store your emergency kit?

Personally, I have a printed copy stored in a safe place, and I also shared a digital copy in my 1Password account's Shared vault, to be accessible by my other family members.

• petero43432
    petero43432
    Community Member
    edited March 2021

thank you @ag_ana, would there be a way to recover my 2FA account without access to old devices? Say if laptop + phone (with app+2FA) get stolen, what would happen?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@petero43432:

If all of your devices were to be stolen, with 2FA active and no backup in place, you would not be able to access that account until 2FA is disabled. In that case, our security team might be able to help with some security questions via email :+1:

But it would be better to have a backup of your 2FA device instead (you can scan the QR code on as many authenticator apps as you wish, for example).

• petero43432
    petero43432
    Community Member

I see, thank you very much for helping me be proactive.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

You are welcome @petero43432! I am glad I could help :)

If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day :)

This discussion has been closed.