1Password, Firefox, and MacOS

Options
BenjaminMetzler
BenjaminMetzler
Community Member

I am having trouble getting 1Password working with Firefox on Big Sur. I had to reinstall my OS and I'm trying to get 1Password working again, but I'm hitting a wall. If I hit cmd+\ in Firefox, 1Password displays an interface window that says "Install the 1Password Extension to file passwords, credit cards, and addresses in Firefox".

I have 1Password installed and the icon in in the menu bar. I have installed the 1Password extension and it's icon shows up in Firefox. When I click on a field like a user name, the little 1Password icon appears in it and I can see my passwords, but if I hit cmd+\ the message to install the the extension pops up. I've uninstalled the Firefox extension and reinstalled it from https://1password.com/downloads/mac/#browsers, but the same issue pops up.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Ben

1Password Version: 1Password 7 Version 7.7 (70700015)
Extension Version: 1.23.1
OS Version: MacOS Big Sur 11.2.2
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @BenjaminMetzler!

Can you please download the classic extension and see if that works for you?

Get the 1Password classic extension

I think this is the extension you are looking for.

• BenjaminMetzler
    BenjaminMetzler
    Community Member
    Options

That was it. Is the classic extension being replaced?

• @BenjaminMetzler

The 1Password classic extension is still available for use. 1Password in the browser has several advantages over the classic extension. Most notably, in my opinion, is the ability to fill on one-time passcodes and handle some of the more complex websites. I think you'll see 1Password in the browser playing a more prominent role with those two advantages. Not to mention the fact that the Touch ID code is being re-written for a code refresh.

• nikmolnar
    nikmolnar
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_tommy I use the classic extension to fill OTPs all the time, either with Cmd + \ or by pasting the code that 1Password copies to my clipboard automatically. How does this new extension handle this better?

• ag_tommy
    edited March 2021
    Options

@nikmolnar

1Password in the browser auto-fills them without the trip back to the browser extension, saving me additional clicks. I like it over the repeated trips to the extension or using command + v to paste it from the clipboard. It's more of a small convenience factor than anything else.

• haraldwithtwoehs
    haraldwithtwoehs
    Community Member
    Options

I had the same issue with Firefox, and switching to the 1Password classic extension also fixed it for me.

I strongly prefer the classic extension for one reason - TouchID support. The browser extension doesn't seem to support it yet?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@haraldwithtwoehs:

Not yet, but our developers are working on it ;)

This discussion has been closed.