1Password generate weak 6-digit pin?

Options
max_cx
max_cx
Community Member

I created a Login in 1Password for an account that required a 6-digit pin. I had 1Password generate the pin which I saved with the Login. Later when I went back to use that entry, 1Password helpfully told me that my 6-digit pin was "weak". Why does 1Password generate 6-digit pins that it is later going to judge as weak? Shouldn't 1Password filter those out before recommending them?

1Password Version: 7.8
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 10.15.7
Sync Type: iCloud
Referrer: forum-search:1Password generate weak 6-digit pin

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @max_cx!

Why does 1Password generate 6-digit pins that it is later going to judge as weak?

I think it's a problem of password length: any 6-digit PIN will be weak, it's not that some 6-digit PINs are strong, while others are weak. 1Password cannot stop you from creating one of course, but it will warn you that it's not a secure password overall.

• max_cx
    max_cx
    Community Member
    Options

Fair enough, but it was not my choice. The site only permitted 6 digit numeric pins. See for example, Apple iOS. Feels not very helpful to get a warning about something over which you have not control.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    edited March 2021
    Options

@max_cx:

Agreed, unfortunately certain sites have weak password requirements and there is nothing you can do about it :( We are however thinking about how to improve warnings so perhaps certain items can be filtered, so I will pass your feedback to the developers :+1:

ref: dev/projects/customer-feature-requests#130

• max_cx
    max_cx
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you. There is a tiny element of 1Password "crying wolf" in this case. I appreciate 1Password's vigilance, but...

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Understood @max_cx :+1: Perhaps we will find a way to address this in the future :)

This discussion has been closed.