To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Do I need to enter my Secret Key every time I log into 1Password?

bqlefty
bqlefty
Community Member
edited March 2021 in Memberships

When I have been logged off from 1Password for a few days when I want to log back in a few days later I'm asked to enter my Secret Key as well as my Master Password. How do I remove the necessity of entering the Secret Key every time. I assumed I only needed the Secret Key if and when I forgot my Master Password. Any suggestions you may have would be helpful. Thank you

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Do I need to enter my Secret Key every time I log into 1Password?

Comments

• plttn
    plttn
    Community Member

So a few things:

1. Your Secret Key does not replace your Master Password. If you forget your Master Password, there is nothing that can be done to recover the data in your account (this ignores situations where you have biometrics enabled i.e. Face ID, Touch ID, Windows Hello). The Secret Key allows for an additional layer of security by providing more entropy during the decryption process on a new device.
    2. Are you referring to the Windows program, or one of the extensions or my.1password.com? The Windows program should be staying logged in, but if you are clearing cookies or other browser data on exiting your browser, that would result in the extension or my.1password.com needing to be signed back into with your secret key.
  • @bqlefty

Please let us know if you have any questions.

• bqlefty
    bqlefty
    Community Member

Thank you for your response, much appreciated. Cheers,

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

You are very welcome :)

This discussion has been closed.