How do I know if a dialogue box from 1Password is from 1Password

solitaryman1
solitaryman1
Community Member

Just got a pop up dialogue box saying "1Password needs to update its files, which requires the password you use to log into your Mac"
Just need to know if this is actually from 1Password. Can't be too cautious these days.

1Password Version: 1Password 7 Version 7.7 (70700015) 1Password Store
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 11.2.1
Sync Type: iCloud
Referrer: forum-search:How do I know if a dialogue box from 1Password is from 1Password

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @solitaryman1!

Can you please post a screenshot of this box?

• solitaryman1
    solitaryman1
    Community Member

• solitaryman1
    solitaryman1
    Community Member

• solitaryman1
    solitaryman1
    Community Member

These are the 2 pop ups I got.

• @solitaryman1

We released 1Password 7.8 last week. So that's why you are likely seeing the message now. It looks like you're headed to version 7.8.

AgileBits Update Server some people like to bookmark this page and look at the release notes. It will always let you know if we released a new version. If in doubt you are 100% correct, it's better to ask. Thank you.

• solitaryman1
    solitaryman1
    Community Member

Excellent!!! Thanks for the quick response

• solitaryman1
    solitaryman1
    Community Member

I just put my password in and this is what happened. I tried twice.

• solitaryman1
    solitaryman1
    Community Member

Uh oh!!! I need some help here now.

• ag_tommy
    edited March 2021

@solitaryman1

Hmm, that's odd. Let's try replacing your copy. It may have been damaged.

1. Quit all open web browsers, especially Safari
    2. Look for our helper in the menu bar near the WiFi indicator and the clock. Right-click (Option-click) on the helper and select quit 1Password completely.

1. Drag 1Password from the Applications folder to the Trash. Do not use an "app cleaner" or "uninstaller" tool to remove the app or additional files. If prompted, enter the password you use to sign in to your Mac.
    2. Restart the Mac.
    3. Download the latest version of 1Password from the 1Password website.
    4. Quit any open web browsers and then install 1Password.
    5. Open and unlock 1Password before opening your web browser.
  • solitaryman1
    solitaryman1
    Community Member

It's not there!

• @solitaryman1

It may have quit due to the signing error you posted. Please complete the other steps if you can. I would highly recommend quitting Malwarebytes until the change out.

• solitaryman1
    solitaryman1
    Community Member

This is complicated. I wish we could do this over the phone.
    I completed step 7 and then the installation failure box popped up. "Magically" a few moments later the 1Password button appeared at the top (???). I can open 1Password now but it's probably the 7.7 version? and as you can see from the last screenshot, the 1Password icon is still grayed out. Now what I haven't done yet is quit Malwarebytes. And if you still want me to do that I'm going to need some guidance here too because I'm not sure how to do that.

• solitaryman1
    solitaryman1
    Community Member

I just now clicked on the 1Password icon in the dock (that's what the icon now looks like?) and it opened and I clicked on 'about' and it shows as Version 7.8. I guess it's installed???? I have never seen an update or installation of any kind, with so many error messages ever before. But I'm not looking a gift horse in the mouth. If it's one thing I know, it's that 1Password is one app I CANNOT do without!!!
    Just get back to me when you can with any kind of reassurance that I am really good to go.

• @solitaryman1

We have a few reports of that behavior, and it looks to be something within the installer that's not recognizing the install succeeded. Everyone I have talked with was able to open the application. That said, I also received the same message on one of my M1 Macs, where 1Password opened from the Applications folder without issue.

• solitaryman1
    solitaryman1
    Community Member

Ok, as long as it works. But can you tell me if the 1Password icon in the dock supposed to look like that? Just have to say the "old" key lock icon looks better. Thanks for your help!!

• ag_tommy
    edited March 2021

@solitaryman1

My apologies I overlooked that. :( It should have updated on its own. Let's get it sorted.

Click on the 1Password icon in the Dock and continue holding, then drag it off the Dock, until you see the word Remove. At that time, you can let go, and the shortcut will be gone. I find that I need to drag it about 1/4 of the screen, away from the Dock, before Remove appears next to the icon.
    Next open 1Password from your Applications folder. Once the icon appears in the Dock, right-click it and select Options > Keep in Dock.

• solitaryman1
    solitaryman1
    Community Member

I followed your instructions but it keeps opening, from the apps folder, with the same silver square icon whether I double click, or drag it down to the dock. I'm not going to make a big deal over this. As long as 1Password works, I'm ok!

• I can't say I have ever had that happen. Does the icon app look correct in the Application folder? Another user earlier in the week had the same issue, and this resolved it for them. Essentially you are replacing the shortcut that lives in the Dock with an updated copy. I'm wondering what may be different on your system?

If you want to pick it up again, we can certainly do that. If you press the command key and click the Dock icon, a Finder window should open, showing the location of the app. It may be some sort of caching issue with macOS. If it continues, I would suggest another restart.

• @solitaryman1

I'm sorry to reopen up this topic. Has the proper icon appeared for you? We are investigating another report, and if it's not correct, I'd like to add you to that issue tracker. Can you please @ me, so I ensure I see your reply. Thanks.

• @solitaryman1

In your opening post you indicated you were using macOS 11.2.1 Can you update to 11.2.3 or the latest and see if that helps resolve the matter?

https://support.apple.com/HT201541

• solitaryman1
    solitaryman1
    Community Member

Yes, I updated to 11.2.3 when I was notified of it....and yes, the 1Password logo is back!!!
    Only "problem" is, is that I don't remember if the Big Sur update was what caused the logo to return.
    All I know is that all of 1Password is working just fine for me!!

• @solitaryman1

Thank you for the follow up. I appreciate it.

• solitaryman1
    solitaryman1
    Community Member

Hey, you guys are always prompt when I have an issue. I “always do unto others.......”

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for the kind words :)

This discussion has been closed.