A good filter idea for "Recovered Edit" entries AND their normal siblings?

JeremyBechtold
JeremyBechtold
Community Member

Anyone have a good idea to sort this out?

I currently have 50+ "Recovered Edit" entries in my primary vault (I haven't even checked my other vaults). I understand why they were created, though I disagree with the rationale as some of the entries were never edited. I know this for certain because some of the entries were sent to me by my developer for sites on which we both work, or client hosting/service login credentials, among some other origins for the entries which I know I never had reason to open them or edit them as they were just there for safe keeping.

What I want:
A simple method for creating a list of entries that can show both the "Recovered Edit" entries AND the normal entries to which they are siblings. When I search or make a smart folder, I ONLY see the ones with the text in the entry title. I want a way to see the other entr(ies) that were to the origin for the recovered edit versions. Does anyone have a better solution than the one below?

Not this ... This:

Dumb Solution:
Simply scroll through the alpha-sorted list over 1550+ entries and tag them all so that I can filter and work on them a handful at a time. And then either un-tag the items as they've been fixed, or create another tag that can be used to display a smarter smart folder which only shows the ones without both tags...

Dumb Solution Problem(s):
1. 1P is unable to apply tags to multiple entries at once so I must edit entry, add tag(s), save entry x3 or 4 for each since most items have 2-3 recovered edit entries, usually only differing by a single calendar day.
2. Smart folders are the ONLY kinds of folders (otherwise I would simply drag everything into a folder and work on it a handful at a time as mentioned previously)

Thoughts, anyone? Thanks in advance.

1Password Version: 7.8
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Mac OS 10.14
Sync Type: iCloud
Referrer: forum-search:recovered edit

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @JeremyBechtold!

When I search or make a smart folder, I ONLY see the ones with the text in the entry title. I want a way to see the other entr(ies) that were to the origin for the recovered edit versions.

Can you please clarify this part?

• JeremyBechtold
    JeremyBechtold
    Community Member

@ag_ana, see the differences in the two pics in my OP... If I create a smart folder or simply view search results, there's no way to gather in the results with them the original entry which lacks the " - Recovered Edit" title suffix. Any search or smart folders that I can imagine creating would still only bring the view of the first pic. The second pic can only be brought about by way of knowing the title (which takes just as much time as scrolling the entire list) or simply scrolling the entire list in an alpha sort. It's simply a matter of basic functionality not allowing the user to easily resolve the multiple entries created by the app.

One of the solutions I thought of which would be helpful would be the ability to select consecutive or non-consecutive entries in the main list (which we can do) and then right click to edit all of them in some limited form (such as adding a tag to all selected entries) or adding a tag via the edit/item menus. Frankly, I'm not sure how often folks really use the tags as power-users beyond the likely creation of smart folders or just viewing lists of tagged items, so I don't see that as being a high-value feature to be added to the app. For what it's worth, that same functionality could be created by selecting all the entries desired and moving them to a new vault temporarily; though you'd probably only want to move as many as you plan to fix in a session so as not to have them syncing (I used icloud, not a subscription, and have several vaults that remain local to their varied devices and do not sync to my other devices).

The issue that remains is that there is no way to arrive at both the recovered edit items and their siblings which do not carry that suffix. Looking at it purely as app feature-functionality and not a solution to my particular issue, I think the best solution to this would be to add functionality where 1P would edit all necessary entries, not just the duplicated entries. Retroactively, it does nothing for me or anyone else with a similar issue, but for all future instances where 1P will edit my entries for me while creating the extra entries it could prepare all users for simple resolution of the issue. Instead of 1P just creating the dupe entries with the suffix, it could also be aware enough to add a tag to those entries or even flag them as watchtower entries. A watchtower flag might be the best solution? If a user doesn't care and they don't display their watchtower categories, then it doesn’t bother them. Having two, three, or more entries with the same info or mostly safe info saved within makes sense to be brought into watchtower. This actually takes it out of the handling arena of tags and user-creation and makes it something that 1P handles with a flag at the app level while the entries are created.

Having 1P make some sort of flag or association to the original is the best solution to the issue of the app creating a scenario that cannot be resolved easily by the user. The idea of a "Recovered Edit" entry truly is something that should be flagged by watchtower. I don't think it waters down the importance of the other things watchtower flags.

Some sort of resolution tool could be nice, but likely major overkill as this probably doesn't happen as much with the average user. The real issue is still that there is no way to have 1P bring up the un-suffixed sibling to the entry containing the suffix to make resolution a simple process.

This discussion has been closed.