What's happened to Password History on Mac

Options
alexmidd
alexmidd
Community Member

Hi, I recently changed a password on an account and as I had not put in a symbol the change failed. This caused the fields on the password change page on the website to clear, so I needed to recreate the password with a symbol in it and also re-enter the old password again. However, I no longer had the old password as I had changed it in 1Password, naturally.

However, I thought "I'll get it from the Password History". Umm, nope, there doesn't seem to be any password history any more. Strangely, it is still available on the phone app but this wasn't convenient as it meant I had to type the complex (as it should be) password into the computer one character at a a time, and naturally I got it wrong a couple of times. Eventually it worked but it took way longer than if I could have copied it from the password history and pasted it in that way.

So, what's happening here? Why has the password history gone and is there any way to get it back, as it is really essential for such websites where you ned to enter the old password before you tell it what to change it to? I checked the Preferences but couldn't see any setting in there to enable it.

Thanks

Alex

1Password Version: 7.8 (70800001)
Extension Version: 4.7.5.90
OS Version: MacOS 11.2.3
Sync Type: Account

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @alexmidd!

You can access password history on the Mac from here, inside the Login item itself:

• alexmidd
    alexmidd
    Community Member
    edited March 2021
    Options

Oh, right, thank you.

I feel a bit silly now. 😳I think I was just used to seeing it automatically below the main section that I thought it had been removed completely. I’ve probably used that dropdown loads of times and just not noticed that option there. D’oh!

Thank you for reminding me that it is there. 🙂

Alex

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@alexmidd:

No worries at all! This was indeed moved, it used to be at the bottom of the item window, you are right :)

• alexmidd
    alexmidd
    Community Member
    Options

Ah right, thanks. I’m easily confused, lol.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

You are welcome @alexmidd :D If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day :)

• DavidMBrown
    DavidMBrown
    Community Member
    Options

Two of us asking the same question in under 24 hours—indicates a poor and/or arbitrary design decision?
    There's a history (pun intended) of "I'm bored; let's change the UI" in my favorite password management software...

• alexmidd
    alexmidd
    Community Member
    Options

Ha ha, well I’m glad it wasn’t just me. 😆

• rudy
    Options

@DavidMBrown,

Its always a difficult choice when a UI that just had things tacked onto it over a period of years gets rethought and a more sensical location for it isn't where everyone expects it to be. I don't think this was necessarily a bad move, but it certainly appeared out of what seemed like the blue. I suspect we'll see many more changes over the next year that fall into this category of change.

• DavidMBrown
    DavidMBrown
    Community Member
    edited March 2021
    Options

@rudy,

Trying to guess how to do things I already know how to do, especially things that already work perfectly well, is SUCH a satisfying use of my time.

• Ben
    Options

"I'm bored; let's change the UI"

I suppose we could go back to this:

Though I suspect that would look pretty dated by most standards. ;) To a degree UI changes are a natural part of the progression of a software offering. We learn from our mistakes and adapt to what is considered a modern approach at the time. It is possible we'll look back at this change as one of those mistakes and change it again... time will tell. Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I've left a note for the design team on the subject.

Ben

• DavidMBrown
    DavidMBrown
    Community Member
    Options

@Ben,

Hi! ...and thanks for the illustration. I'd forgotten what a momental waste of real estate that layout was. :)

I still miss the previous layout: folders and such down the left, list of items top-right, individual item bottom-right.

MOAR BETTERER LAYOUT THAN ALL NEW ONES = BEST LAYOUT EVAR! ;)

• Ben
    Options

;)

Ben

• dentarg
    dentarg
    Community Member
    edited May 2021
    Options

I hear you when you say UI changes are natural part of progressing software. I can buy that you wanted to move this feature out of the main section, and place it in a menu somewhere. It is probably not seeing as much as usage as other features. However, I dislike the implementation of it: after clicking the menu item a small area containing the list of previous passwords appears. This small area can not be resized and it is also not persistent, when if switch to another app and then return to 1Password, it is gone. I need to click to the arrow to bring forward the menu again, and then click "View Password History" again. This is really cumbersome to work with, when you need to go back and forth and try old passwords (for reasons; perhaps a password change didn't make it or something). I get the impression the AgileBits team aren't using this feature themselves at all?

I'm on macOS and using 1Password Version 7.7 (70700015).

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thank you for the feedback @dentarg!

I'm on macOS and using 1Password Version 7.7 (70700015).

A bit unrelated, but I recommend updating to version 7.8.3: there have been quite a few changes and new features in the last versions :)

This discussion has been closed.