USPS.com login switches username and password

rumplestilts
rumplestilts
Community Member

Not a problem on Mac or Windows. However, using 1P for Android: Login at USPS.com switches the username and password (puts them in the wrong fields).

1Password Version: 7.7.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Android 11
Sync Type: Google? Maybe your cloud

Comments

• Hey @rumplestilts, thanks for reporting this filling issue.

This is a known issue with the USPS site, except we notice that the password field gets filled into both username and password fields. Can you confirm that your username is getting inputted into the password field?

Also, which browser are you using?

• rumplestilts
    rumplestilts
    Community Member
    edited January 2021

Upon further examination, I am counting the same number of "dots" in the password field as my password (which also appears in the username field). When I log in using my computer, all is correctly filled in. So you are correct; the password info -does- get filled into both username and password fields.

I have been using Chrome browser (what Google brings to the dance). However, when I used Brave browser (again, in Android), 1Password worked perfectly at the USPS site. I guess I'll switch. :D

Thanks for the help.

• Hey @rumplestilts, thanks for double checking that for me.

This is a known issue specific to Chrome. I've gone ahead and passed this along to our developers to further investigate.

In the meantime, I'm glad you were able to fill as expected in Brave! You can also try using our drag and drop feature when filling doesn't work as expected: https://support.1password.com/getting-started-android/#drag-and-drop-to-fill-in-other-apps.

If there's anything else I can help you with, please let me know.

ref: dev/android/onepassword-android#955

• rumplestilts
    rumplestilts
    Community Member
    edited January 2021

Apparently I was wrong about Brave. It did work fine when I reported it but has since been exhibiting the same behavior as Chrome.

• Thanks for updating us on this, @rumplestilts. We'll share this with our team!

• rybaosinski
    rybaosinski
    Community Member
    edited March 2021

Hi,
    I am having exact same issue on Chrome for android. My password goes into both login and password fields on USPS website. Is there an update in the works? Is this normal for issues to take so long to fix, it has been 2 months since OP? I just switched from lastpass and have never seen anything like this happen there.
    EDIT:
    First report on this forum is in fact November 2020, this is unacceptable.

• Hi @rybaosinski. I don't have any updates for you on this issue. However, filling works as expected in Firefox, so if you have that browser installed, try filling in to usps.com there.

• rybaosinski
    rybaosinski
    Community Member

Thank you for a quick response. Unfortunately I use Chrome and not Firefox, so this is not an option. It is the password manager that should adapt to my needs, not the other way around. Randomly revealing my passwords by pasting them into wrong fields is a security problem. Another issue I had is how difficult it is to generate new passwords on my phone. I have not figured out how to do it without opening the app. I have decided to go with the competition.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@rybaosinski:

Sorry to hear that, but thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us, and for giving 1Password a try!

• RGhatak
    RGhatak
    Community Member

I can confirm that this happens on certain websites for both Chrome and DuckduckGo (on Android). The website where I have had issues with is Blackboard (which I use a lot). I have tried other sites where the app seems to work fine (after turning off autofill and keeping accessibility turned on).

• ag_audrey
    edited March 2021

Hey @RGhatak, could you clarify which Blackboard website you're referring to so I can test this out on my end? Are you confirming that your password gets filled into both the username and password fields for this site as well?

• J.M
    J.M
    Community Member
    edited March 2021

There seems to be bugs with multiple Chrome/Chromium based browsers and autofill at the moment, I've seen some reports on other password managers forums/githubs. I tested Bitwarden for fun with DuckDuckGo and autofill wasn't triggered sometimes.

It's the same for Firefox at the moment, it seems an autofill regression is affecting it as I could see on Bitwarden and Mozilla Github, it is also affecting Keepass2Android, meaning it is a Firefox problem. I tested Firefox with a few Keepass derivatives and Bitwarden, and indeed, autofill is unreliable, sometimes you have to tap in a username or password field many times to trigger the autofill prompt and it can quickly vanish from view before you can even choose an entry.

The only Chromium based browser which seems reliable with every password manager right now is Brave if you need autofill without any accessibility options etc. As it happens AgileBits and Bitwarden fixed issues related to Brave recently.

I think it's a little unfair to say that it's the password manager fault if said login didn't fill correctly here and there as browser developers make mistakes too, same goes for website developers. Let's not talk about Google because there is a lot of things that could be said about that company. They have a pretty good track record when it comes to breaking things without consulting their userbase.

• RGhatak
    RGhatak
    Community Member
    edited March 2021

Hi @ag_audrey. Thanks for following up. I am using myCourses which is based on Blackboard learn. And yes the password gets filled in both the username and password fields.

• Hi @RGhatak, @J.M, @rybaosinski, and @rumplestilts. I've updated to Chrome 89 on Android, and it looks like the issue is now resolved. Please update to Chrome 89 if it's available to you, and let me know if that resolves the issue.

• J.M
    J.M
    Community Member
    edited March 2021

@peri : I omitted that from my original message as I assumed everyone talking about Chrome problems in that topic was already using the early Chrome 89 build that fixed autofill, because it released in December 2020 from what I could read on Chromium bugtracker and discussions between Chromium team and Bitwarden developers.

But since you wrote that maybe not every one was using it, or they fixed it for good more recently.

I'm a Firefox user so I'm more interested in the Firefox bug that makes password managers unreliable on Android at the moment (vanishing autofill drop down list among other things). 1Password seems to work a little bit better but there are problems with multiple password managers for sure.

• RGhatak
    RGhatak
    Community Member

@peri I checked my Chrome was updated last week. I am on Chrome 89.0.4389.90 (I'm guessing this is the latest version as there are no additional updates available on app store). Same with DuckduckGo (last updated in Feb - version 5.77.2; I checked there are no new updates). The issue persists.

Something that caught my eye today: I noticed that for these webpages, the email id sometimes gets filled in the browser address (doesn't happen everytime).

• @J.M Thanks for the update. As to any issues you're having with Firefox, make sure you have both Autofill and Accessibility enabled, as Accessibility can help fill when Autofill fails.

@RGhatak Sorry, I only tested the USPS site when I had posted an update that it was working. Can you share the URL for the site you're having trouble with? A Google search for "Mycourses" and "Blackboard" turns up several hits.

• J.M
    J.M
    Community Member

@peri, I know about accessibility but I'd like to let it disabled and wait for a Firefox fix from Mozilla developers. 1Password works a little bit better there at the moment compared to other password managers I sometimes use/test.

Accessibility has notable drawbacks that's why I'd prefer not to use it.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Understood :+1:

This discussion has been closed.