How to save OAuth choice for a site? (Reminder if I chose GitHub, Google, Facebook, Twitter, etc.)

What is the 1Password way to save my login for an OAuth site? I want to store in 1Password that I previously logged in with, say, GitHub and not Google, for example, and I want this login information to appear when I click the 1Password extension button, same as on any other site.

This pertains to sites like https://www.interviewcake.com and many others, where username/password is not the login method, but rather GitHub, Facebook, Google.

1Password Version: 7.7
Extension Version: 1.23.1
OS Version: macOs 11.2.2
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:OAuth

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member

@kevinashworth If using GitHub SSO, I would create an item as below. The title is easist to read, but gets truncated in 1Password in the browser's dropdown. So either put GitHub SSO at the start or put it in the username too.
    Title: Interview Cake - GitHub SSO
    URL: https://www.interviewcake.com
    Username: GitHub SSO

• kevinashworth
    kevinashworth
    Community Member

That's a good work-around. Better than Secure Note, I suppose, which I have been doing for such sites. Thanks, mb!

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Indeed, creating custom items with informative titles is a great reminder for such login pages.

Thank you @missingbits :+1:

• tjk
    tjk
    Community Member

A quick way to save OAuth method is very needed!

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

I'm not sure how is that really possible as we need text/password fields to trigger 1Password in the first place, but I agree it would be great to have such a feature. :+1:

• nickey239
    nickey239
    Community Member
    edited March 2021

I totally agree with this sentiment of OAuth method being helpful, probably around a quarter of my logins are with OAuth and having a mechanism to remember which source I use would be very nice.

Using the hotkey command + \ I can already see if I've recorded a custom login that I populated with the OAuth provider, but creating these is a bit of a pain...

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member
    edited March 2021

@nickey239 I have not used OAuth much since getting a password manager. I know some websites insist on it, but could you move some of yours into 1Password?

• nickey239
    nickey239
    Community Member

@missingbits I think that's a viable workaround, I guess it's basically the same effort as creating custom entries for each OAuth login.

Another point to add is that you can get better integrations with other services by using OAuth for some logins e.g. github, google, facebook

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

I actually have a similar experience as @missingbits here.

Whenever a website asks me to log in via Facebook/Google/Github etc, I always diligently look for the "Sign up with email instead" button, which is often hidden or is written in a very small font at the bottom of the page/popup. I can't seem to find a reason why OAuth would be better. I know these services don't share my personal info (usually), but I still feel uncomfortable letting a website integrate with an account I own on another website.

Divide and conquer :)

This discussion has been closed.