Is there an automator script to insert the password to unlock 1Password?

Options
MacHock
MacHock
Community Member

It's very cumbersome to copy and paste our lengthy password to open 1Password 7.7 every time we start or restart our computers. I have been unsuccessfully trying to create an Apple automator service or app script that could a) open 1Password, b) fill in the password, and c) followed by a return to unlock and open 1 Password. I've searched various Apple script-writing forums and found nothing thus far.

Are you aware of any 1Password automator scripts that can do this? If not, would the 1Password team be willing to tackle this?

Related question: For secure computers, is there a way to not require or bypass the password to open 1Password?

1Password Version: 7.7
Extension Version: Firefox 4.7.5.90
OS Version: OS X 10.14.6
Sync Type: AgileBits
Referrer: forum-search:automatic unlocking

Comments

• ag_tommy
    edited February 2021
    Options

@MacHock

I would strongly urge you to reconsider your thoughts on this matter. Your Master Password should only be know by you. Storing it in a script which can easily be read by human eyes is a large security concern.

How to choose a good Master Password

• MacHock
    MacHock
    Community Member
    Options

Your comments are well taken, thanks. On our iPads and iPhones using touch ID or facial recognition is convenient and fast. On our iMacs and MacBook Pros I've created some relatively quick ways to copy and paste the password into 1Password using different clipboard utilities, such as XMenu (an old favorite) and, more recently, using Snippety.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@MacHock:

Please be very careful with this. As Tommy said, the Master Password should be handled exclusively by you and should not be stored in clear text, as that is what ultimately protects your data.

Have you considered extending the auto lock timer for the 1Password app instead?

• MacHock
    MacHock
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Ana, thanks for the suggestion. I've already gone through all of the 1Password settings to provide as much flexibility as possible.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Understood :+1:

• wills11
    wills11
    Community Member
    Options

What I've done is to create a partial snippet: i.e., if my password were "samplepassword", I have a text snippet that's "amplepasswo", so I have to hit a few keys before and after—that seems like a good compromise.

I do appreciate the convenience of 1Password, but have a 2019 iMac and sure wish there were a way to use Apple Watch or even my iPhone or camera to auto-unlock...

This discussion has been closed.