1Password4 to 1Password7 - I feel like I have taken a step back

Options

As a longtime 1Password4 user I recently upgraded to 1Password7 to take advantage of the subscription/account sync process on multiple devices (had to move away from Dropbox due to a recent limit on number of devices connected to a single Dropbox account). Having made the switch to v7 I am finding that a lot of the features that were in v4 are missing in v7. In particular;

1. displaying a list of passwords grouped by tag in the mini/toolbar app (to see entries by tag I have to open the full 1Password interface which is a pain, as I use tags extensively to group/order passwords)

2. ability to trigger shell programs using cmd:// syntax in url (I used this feature to launch various VPN programs, or RDP sessions)

3. default to secure desktop login mode (previously this could be set as a global setting, now it appears I have to manually click the shield icon every login)

4. integration with browser add-ons (auto fill from desktop app doesn't work when the new browser add-ons are installed, have to go and search and install the classic add-ons to have desktop edition work correctly)

5. auto type in window button (previously it was a single button in the main interface, now it is a drop down option, where you need to select a particular window to target)

1Password Version: 7
Extension Version: Classic
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: 1Password Account

Comments

• J.M
    J.M
    Community Member
    edited March 2021
    Options

Long time user here too (started with 1Password 3 for Windows in 2011), only recently came back to 1Password after a few years using Keepass after the release of 1Password 6 which was a complete rebuild (with missing features as you've seen).

1. Didn't use it to be honest, mainly using the search box to find entries since my early days with 1Password

2. This one is one of the main reasons I went away for a few years, this feature disappeared when 1Password 6 released, they rebuilt 1Password from scratch and didn't make autofill in apps a part of 1P6. Now it's something they're aware of and it will come back at some point, from the recent blog posts, it seems there's an internal effort at the moment to "harmonize" the experience between platforms. Some platforms are a little bit ahead in terms of features. Hope it won't take too long after that to see this feature again.

3. Same, I remember you could toggle that option in 1P4 and I didn't find any option that does the same on 1P7, I actually didn't know you had to click on the shield to trigger the "open on secure desktop" feature until I clicked on it to see what it did.

4. Exactly, the new extension isn't "in sync" with the desktop app, it's being worked on, Linux has this functionality now since the latest build that released a few days ago. AgileBits is aware of this missing feature so I can just hope it will release in the next few months for other platforms. Many people didn't like the push for the new extension while this feature is still missing.

5. Didn't use it too much back then, I don't know if it's now a drop down for more security (to be sure you really select the window you want) or if it's just a temporary design. I seem to recall that with 1P4, it was the focused window that would receive the input. Would need to make a virtual machine to test this (a good trip down memory lane as they say), didn't use 1P4 in years.

• Dayton_ag
    edited March 2021
    Options

Hi @CFales, thanks so much for writing in with this feedback. I've done my best to address some of these concerns below:

displaying a list of passwords grouped by tag in the mini/toolbar app (to see entries by tag I have to open the full 1Password interface which is a pain, as I use tags extensively to group/order passwords)

I would love to see this added to 1Password - I'll make sure this gets passed along. To confirm, you'd like a Tags section that you can switch to to view your list of tags, select the one you're searching for, and then see the items grouped under that particular tag? Of note, searching in 1Password mini also checks tag contents, allowing you to search for a particular tag and see all items tagged with that particular text.

ability to trigger shell programs using cmd:// syntax in url (I used this feature to launch various VPN programs, or RDP sessions)

This is not currently on our Development team's plans for release - my apologies for the inconvenience. It comes down to a combination of changes to how 1Password passes data to outside windows.

default to secure desktop login mode (previously this could be set as a global setting, now it appears I have to manually click the shield icon every login)

I'll pass this feedback along as well so the Development team knows you'd like to see this.

integration with browser add-ons (auto fill from desktop app doesn't work when the new browser add-ons are installed, have to go and search and install the classic add-ons to have desktop edition work correctly)

As @J.M pointed out, we are currently working on bringing communication between the desktop app and 1Password in the browser. I personally use the recently-released beta of this feature on Linux, and love it! I'm looking forward to this being available across all platforms.

auto type in window button (previously it was a single button in the main interface, now it is a drop down option, where you need to select a particular window to target)

This change was introduced as a security measure - since multiple windows can be open on a device and the window that is seen as active may not be the intended recipient of the login credentials, 1Password now prompts the user to ask where they want to output that data - this works to prevent unintentional leaks of your data into other windows, such as public forums and chats.

I do apologize that some of these behaviors in 1Password don't quite suit your workflow - my answers above are not intended as arguments against your use-case, but rather to provide insight into the thought process of the Development team and the direction for 1Password as a whole.

ref: /dev/core/core/-/issues/#5889

• CFales
    CFales
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks to both @J.M and @Dayton_ag for your feedback.
    @Dayton_ag in answer to your confirmation question.

"To confirm, you'd like a Tags section that you can switch to to view your list of tags, select the one you're searching for, and then see the items grouped under that particular tag?"

Yes, this is correct. The ability in 1Password Mini to show the tag listing, select a tag/sub tag, and see the items listed under that tag. Alternatively, the ability to configure the toolbar button to trigger the full 1Password interface from a click instead of the mini interface. (I know I can do this with the keyboard, but the one click on the toolbar button is much simpler).
    The search on keywords in the 1Password mini interface doesn't work for me due to the large volume of passwords. I might have passwords for different servers for different departments of a given client. These are all grouped in sub category tags (eg. Clients > Acme > North America > Engineering > Servers. Searching pulls up too many associated matches compared to selecting the particular tag tree element.

• Hi @Cfales,

Thanks so much for the clarification, I appreciate it! I can definitely understand how having a large quantity of items that would match the intended search term would clutter things. I've compiled this feedback and passed it along to the Development team to look into. :smile:

OH! I was discussing this more with some colleagues, and they pointed out a handy search modifier that may help out in the meantime. Within 1Password mini, you can prepend your search with tag: in order to search by only tags. For example, if I have a tag "ClientX", I could type tag:ClientX and 1Password will only show items with that tag. This can be further refined with nested tags - such as tags:Clients/Acme/North America/Engineering/Servers. That may be useful in the interim! :smile:

Additionally, holding the Ctrl key while single-clicking the 1Password icon in the system tray will launch the full desktop app.

ref: /dev/projects/customer-feature-requests/-/issues/#26

This discussion has been closed.