1Password 7 Version 7.7 (70700016) Mac App Store won't update to 7.8

bob1downs
bob1downs
Community Member

When I click on the "Update" button in the Mac App Store for 1Password, an error message pops up that says 1Password must be quit first. I click on "quit" and/or "quit all" and then nothing happens. It just sits there forever. The only way to back out at that moment is to click on the "Ignore" button and clicking on that makes it try to update regardless of its thinking that 1Password is running. Then, another error message pops up, this one saying it couldn't update because 1Password is running. When I go to Force Close in the Apple menu, 1Password is not listed. I've rebooted my Mac and immediately gone to the Mac App Store to update 1Password, but it always pops up the error message that it thinks 1Password is running and needs to be quit before updating.

How can I get around this so that 1Password updates to Version 7.8?

1Password Version: 1Password 7 Version 7.7 (70700016) Mac App Store
Extension Version: Safari
OS Version: 11.3 Beta (20E5196f)
Sync Type: Where do I find this???
Referrer: forum-search:1Password 7 Version 7.7 (70700016) Mac App Store won't update to 7.8

Comments

• TomV5
    TomV5
    Community Member

Can confirm. Turned off everything. Rebooted. Just hangs.

• RoniSue
    RoniSue
    Community Member

I’m having the same issue.

• schmollywood
    schmollywood
    Community Member

+1

• Alfred.DeRose
    Alfred.DeRose
    Community Member

+1

• w0lt
    w0lt
    Community Member

+1

• Roger D. Harmon
    Roger D. Harmon
    Community Member

+3 times tried to update and it failed each time

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi everyone! Please make sure 1Password mini is not running in your menu bar when this happens. If it is, please try quitting 1Password completely (right-click on 1Password mini in the menu bar at the top right of your screen > Quit 1Password Completely), and you should be able to complete the update :+1:

• michthom
    michthom
    Community Member

I have also been unable to update 1Password 7 (Version 7.7 - 70700016 - Mac App Store) to 7.8 on Intel macOS 11.2.2 even after completely quitting 1P as described above. I've tried a few times over the last few days.

• michthom
    michthom
    Community Member

D'oh - sorry. I restarted my Mac, quit 1Password completely as advised above and then the update applied successfully! So not an Agilebits problem it seems...

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for the update @michthom! I am glad to hear that you managed to complete the update :)

• Martin153
    Martin153
    Community Member

Excellent :) turning 1Password Mini off solved my update issue

• bob1downs
    bob1downs
    Community Member

Completely quitting, including Mini solved it. Too bad the User Experience for this requires this obscure, extra step with no advice about this in the error message. Also, too bad this relatively “simple” fix isn’t highlighted in the FAQ or this Forum’s pinned Q&As. I spent a while searching for the answer before posting this question and - based on the amount of commenters - I’m not the only one.

It would be great if AgileBits put some time and effort into resolving this UX issue.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

That's great to hear @Martin153 :)

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@bob1downs:

Thank you for the feedback!

• wakko1999
    wakko1999
    Community Member
    edited March 2021

I didn't have such luck.... I got the message that 7.8 was avail, began the download and it started over on its own three times before saying validation failed. closed the window, browser, etc... went to go open 1password app and got a message saying you don't have permission to run this app. then the 1password icon in my dock disappeared. When I looked in the Applications folder the 1password item is there but the icon is just a gray box. Even after reboot now I cannot open the app.... Mac mini M1

update:
    Just went back to app store and donloaded it again...luckily it picked up all the existing vaults and settings so everything is status quo. Not sure what the deal was with that breaking like that .....

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

It sounded like a permission issue in macOS @wakko1999, but I am glad to hear that things are working again now :+1:

• pslawing
    pslawing
    Community Member

ag-ana,
    my big sur MacBook doesn't have a password mini in menu bar to quit completely, how do you quit completely with out it?
    Thanks

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@pslawing:

You can try the keyboard shortcut: Control‑Option‑Command‑Q.

This discussion has been closed.