Autosave not working on Twitter.com

Hi... I'm running 1Password version 3.8.19, Beta 3... Although I've never found it to be terribly reliable (works sometimes, not at other times), today I opened the 1Password plugin and turned on (checked) "ask to save new logins"... Then I went to a login page where I do not currently have a saved login although I do have an account... I entered the account username and password, then clicked Enter... I logged on to the account page ok but no message asking if I wanted to save this login came up... I've tried it four times now and each time it fails to ask me if I want to save the login... On the fourth try I even quite Safari and 1Password and then reopened them both just to see if that mattered... I double checked to see that the "ask to save new logins" was still checked and it was... But again, no go on asking me if I wanted to save the login... Interestingly, when I then logged on to this forum website, this website DID ask me if I wanted to save this login...

So what's up??? Obviously, it works for some websites but not for others... The other website, by the way, for which I was trying to save a login was Twitter... Why does Twitter not work four times in a row while the Agile forums asks me on try one???

thanks... bob...

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Thanks for providing the site where autosave failed. It is helpful to know the actual URL, so I appreciate you letting me know.

Autosave should be working fine on nearly every site. There were some problems with autosave in the Firefox extension which we recently resolved. Can you tell me what version of the 1Password extension you have installed in Firefox?

For sites where autosave simply does not work, you can always use the "+" button in the top right corner of the extension popup. You shouldn't have to do that for Twitter, though. Autosave should be working there.

Please let me know your extension version (and your browser version, especially if I am wrong and you are not using Firefox). :)
  • diitto
    diitto
    Community Member
    Hi... No, I am not using Firefox... I use Safari, the newest version which is 5.1.5... And assuming I am finding what you were asking about the 1Password extension, I click on the 1Password icon in the Safari Toolbar, then click on Settings and under About it says version 3.9.2... And as I said above, the version of the 1Password app itself is 3.8.19, Beta 3... So there's the info you requested...

And I did already do what you suggested regarding manually saving the login for the Twitter URL...

I just enter these issues now and then because I like 1Password a ton and I just want to do whatever to help move it forward and make it even better...

thanks... bob...
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Thanks so much for reporting this, Bob (and for providing those version numbers). Just for kicks, could you please try just banging on your keyboard a bit in the username and password fields here:

https://twitter.com/

Don't bang too hard. :) I just want to make sure that you are entering some random characters before you click the button to login. That will make sure that password reuse is not a factor in the autosave problem.

Can you tell me what happens when you do that?
  • diitto
    diitto
    Community Member
    Khad... Let me make sure I understand... You want me to go to the above twitter login page and just enter some random stuff and then click enter... Which will of course refuse me entry... Right??? But do you then want me to try to get autosave to come up when I next try to autosave the login??? Remember, just a few minutes ago I saved a twitter login by doing so manually... I will have to toss that login first as I've never known the auto save to popup if it already finds a saved login for that site... I'm glad to do that as it's easy to manually make another but just be a bit more specific with what you want me to do and I will then report back... bob...
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Entering random characters and submitting the form is a way to test autosave without removing any of your existing Login items. What should happen:

1. The 1Password autosave bar appears prompting you to save a new Login.
    2. Twitter says "Wrong Username/Email and password combination."

20120331-kd8u346fgum3wm47xk14geeegw.png
  • diitto
    diitto
    Community Member
    Now I understand... I did just what you suggested with the "ask to save logins" box checked... I got the login error (obviously) but I did NOT get a request to offer to save the login... As I said before it opens on at least some other sites, such as this agile bits forum but not on twitter... bob...
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2012
    Unfortunately, we are not able to reproduce this issue using the latest versions of 1Password, Safari, Firefox, Chrome, and the appropriate 1Password extension for each browser.

Can you confirm for me that Twitter.com is not listed in the "Don't autosave on these domains" list in the extension's settings?
    20120403-1frxykhep2gqjncnbqapq1buqt.png
  • diitto
    diitto
    Community Member
    Oh my... I think I owe you a serious apology as I just went to the place you told me to check and sure enough, twitter.com IS listed there... I feel bad now because I know you've been trying to help me with this issue while I was oblivious to the section you just pointed me to... Clearly, I've gone there several times to check or uncheck the "ask to save logins" checkbox which is directly above that list but I never once looked at that list and never even noticed that it was there until you just directed me to go look... I do apologize... So that's the issue...

I assume that list gets populated when you say "never for this site" when the request DOES come up??? I don't remember ever doing that for twitter and if I did so, I did so long ago... But my guess is I must have done it and some point in the past. So, my apology... Thanks for the help and sorry I sent you on a wild goose chase... I'm usually a little better at observing such things but clearly I missed this one... bob..
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Woohoo! I'm glad that was it. I was starting to run out of ideas. That is indeed the list that gets populated when you choose "Never autosave for this site." I don't normally use that list myself, so it isn't always on the forefront of my mind either. :)
  • diitto
    diitto
    Community Member
    Glad that one can be checked off the list but again, my apologies for sending you off on a wild goose chase... thanks for the help... bob...
  • Chris White
    Chris White
    Community Member
    Hey Diitto,

Please don't feel bad about it, I know Khad's happy to help and on his behalf you're most welcome! :)
  • diitto
    diitto
    Community Member
    I appreciate the feedback... thanks... And I also appreciate 1Password... Been using it for a long time now and would be lost without it... When i find issues and post about it, it isn't usually that I'm stopped from doing work or whatever. It's more that I am just trying to add my two cents to help you guys make the product better... And as I said, I'm usually a bit more attentive than I was regarding that list where it clearly showed that somewhere along the line I had obviously told it to forever not save logins for twitter.. And so it did just that... Worked just like it was asked to work... And I completely missed that list... But like my dad says, "sometimes you get the shark and sometimes the shark gets you"... Just sort of a more colorful way of saying "win some, lose some"... I appreciate all the help... bob...
This discussion has been closed.