[Feature Requests] More Customizable Password Generator and Word-Wrap / Pin Password Reveal

TekGen
TekGen
Community Member

I am a LONG TIME 1Password user. Don't remember what version I came into using 1Password but it was a long time ago. Over that time I have seen the Password Generator come into existence, get some tweaks, some new features, and then lose some features more recently.

I understand that part of the accessibility of 1Password is simplicity. But you can always hide the more complicated things behind an "Advanced" roll-up or something.

To the point: the 3 sizes fit most model, unfortunately, doesn't really fit most.

Website password requirements are all over the board... and unfortunately, we have to work within their boundaries until they do better. As an aside: Can you believe that there are still some financial institutions that limit my password to 8 characters?!?! In theory, I should be able to use the most secure password possible within their boundaries w/o having to swizzle the password manually.

Here are my suggestions (some are features of the past that should come back... some are probably new):

Random Password:

• Special Characters should be able to have an inclusion/exclusion list. Some sites give you the special characters you can use... others give you what you can't. I believe this used to exist in a basic form of I could select from a set of pre-defined special character sets.
  • Should be able to identify what character types to not start or end the password with. One site I use doesn't allow for passwords beginning with a number, another doesn't allow for starting with special characters, and another that doesn't allow for ending with of those two.
  • Quantity (used to exist) or Percentage (new) of the password that has special characters and/or numbers. There is at least one site I use that has a minimum requirement of how many numbers and/or special characters used in the password. A different site & application I use doesn't allow for pasting in the password, so if I have to type it manually type it in I would prefer to not have to hit more special characters than necessary.
  • Avoid ambiguous characters (used to exist) so that I am not figuring out if a "0" is a zero or the letter O... etc.

Memorable Password (I think used to be referred to as dame-style or dameware passphrase in older versions):

• Character limit should be added in addition to the number of words. Longer passwords are better. The longest password allowed that I can verbally repeat to someone else is best. Historically, Random Passwords are my go-to, however, sometimes I need passwords that I can repeat back to someone verbally (ie for support, a bank, my partner, etc). So I would like to be able to say the password be X number of words OR X number of characters. That way I can verbally tell my mom what her Netflix password is over the phone and know it is still as long as allowed by Netflix. I frequently find I have to dump the password into a text editor that will tell me how long it is (ie what column is at the end of the line) and prune a word or few off the end. (Gotta love Netflix... stopped using the onboarding links that so many other streaming providers now use)
  • Salt (or fill) in numerical numbers would be the epic bonus to the prior. This would give me (assuming the uppercase option stays) upper/lower case alpha characters, special characters (ie the separator between words/numbers), and numbers. The numbers could be substituted for words (ie alpha-BETA-123-gama). Or substituted for number words (instead of word-two-WORD it would be word-2-WORD). And of course, being able to pick how many or how long it is... though I think if you can just get at least one in there is probably more than enough. When referring to "fill", you can use the numbers to fill the password to the desired length if you are out of words to fit (ie alpha-BRAVO-charlie-1234-foxtrot can't fit into a 32 length max password but you could do alpha-BRAVO-charlie-echo-123456)

Obviously, the examples are just basic examples that this human threw out to articulate what he is asking for... the actual programmatically generated passwords will be much more random characters/words.

Password Reveal:

• Doesn't do much good to reveal a long password and still not see the whole password. Please word-wrap the revealed password (much like you do in generating the long password).
  • Large Type is probably the single most accessible feature that could have been. "Show in Large Type" is beautiful and brilliant! Letters/numbers/characters are color-coded (maybe a more accessible color scheme should be available... not sure since it is not a problem for me). Each character is in offset colored blocks with the character number count above it. And it fills the width of the screen. All fantastic things if I am showing in large type to type it in another device... not so good if I am trying to type it in on the same device. Large Type displayed password disappears if I change the focus to another application (though I think it didn't use to). I should be able to pin it to the screen and move it to somewhere else on the screen. This is most helpful for those situations where I cannot just paste the password... whether it is an app or a website that doesn't allow the user to paste passwords or take 1Password imputing the password.

Again, thanks for making 1Password great. Most of my family and extended family use it.

1Password Version: 7.8 (70800000)
Extension Version: 4.7.5.90
OS Version: MacOS 11.2.3
Sync Type: 1Password Families (and Enterprise)

Comments

• @TekGen,

I should be able to pin it to the screen and move it to somewhere else on the screen.

It already does, click and drag anywhere on that window and it will give it a title bar and the window will persist and float above other apps until you manually close it.

• TekGen
    TekGen
    Community Member

@rudy

I should be able to pin it to the screen and move it to somewhere else on the screen.

It already does, click and drag anywhere on that window and it will give it a title bar and the window will persist and float above other apps until you manually close it.

I didn't know that. Thanks!

• On behalf of Rudy, you're welcome.

• iceblink3
    iceblink3
    Community Member

Hard to believe that any password manager doesn't have detailed preferences which affect auto-generated passwords.
    If I want a 12-character password with one number + one letter + one cap, with a list of chars/symbols to avoid, 1PW should provide a permanent preference to let me do that. But at a minimum, let me pick a length and basic recipe, and have a checkbox to "avoid ambiguous characters".

Seriously... it's one of a handful of primary goals that any password manager should meet.
    And please save yourself some time: I'm aware that I can click multiple times to change some gen rules within the app.
    I'm saying that those rules should be:

• Expanded per above
    • Defaulted via Preference pane for all generated passwords (which I could then override with extra clicks)
  • ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    edited March 2021

Thank you so much for the feedback @iceblink3! I have passed it to the developers :+1:

ref: dev/projects/customer-feature-requests#28

This discussion has been closed.