To Change an email address/user name for an entry, one must delete the entry to do it. WHY?

Options
mark_orlando
mark_orlando
Community Member

To Change an email address/user name for an entry, one must delete the entry to do it. WHY?

Apparently the old username needs to stay around forever to access the new username. When I look at the details for save forms my old email address is there. I assume that is listed on the bottom of the screen to choose from. The only way to change this. Is to delete the entire entry and make a new one from scratch. Seems kind of stupid to me. Apparently one can change this behavior as long as one is using something other than iOS. Since saves form details can only be changed by the leading the entire entry if one is only using iOS. Why not change the email address, username listed in saved form details, When one change is the username. Instead of requiring the old user name to always be the way to access your current username.I would attach a print screen. But that would require more work to change all of the information and the image. Or I’d have to create a dummy entry to make my point.

Comments

• mark_orlando
    mark_orlando
    Community Member
    edited March 2021
    Options

Why must I be forced to use old user names to access new user names? Why does the email address/ user name not change everywhere? AT the bottom of the IOS screen I need to select my old user name for 1password to fill in my new email address/username. This has been going on for years now. I assume I can delete the entry and start over to change the username and password. I guess this is the correct method to change an entry, deletion. Otherwise the old email address /username will be there until the day of my death. I have changed my email address used for most things. My old email address still shows up on the bottom of the screen. Maybe it just takes several years to automatically update. The one I most recently noticed was last updated in September 2020. 6 months ago. But there are no 1password entries that reflect the current user name at the bottom of the iOS screen.

I have edited this because I have done some additional testing even after deleting the entry and permanently loosing my password, my old user name still comes up at the bottom of the screen but clicking on it no longer retrieves anything.

So, where does this text come from?

This was posted before after verifying my email address; it said I had 1 hour to edit it, I logged into my Mac to fix typos, and my post doesn't exist. The tone of my posts get worse every time I am forced to repost.

1Password Version: 7.7.1
    Extension Version: iOS > Where is it listed?
    OS Version: 14.4.1
    Sync Type: iCloud

• mark_orlando
    mark_orlando
    Community Member
    Options

Below is an edited screen shot from Safari on iOS on an iPhone. I have edited the email address. Where does this email address come from, after updating the entry on 1password, the incorrect email address still comes up time and time again.

• mark_orlando
    mark_orlando
    Community Member
    Options

After some additional research, I have found that I just need to click the the key in the bottom right and the one I choose becomes the default, whether or not they point to the same entry. Every time you change the username on an entry, a new entry is created on that list that pops up when you press the key in the bottom right. As long as you don't create another entry, you can have 6 or 7 different items to click on that all point to the same entry. And whatever is in the entry is populated in the fields; there is no correlation between the username you click on and the one that is populated in the user name field. This list never gets reduced.

Also, if an old entry points to an entry in the trash it will still retrieve the username and password until the entry is removed from the trash. After the trash has been emptied, the item is still in the list but clicking on it does nothing.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @mark_orlando!

If you open the main 1Password app and search for this old email, do you get any results? Or is the old email only showing up in the autofill extension?

• mark_orlando
    mark_orlando
    Community Member
    edited March 2021
    Options

Each item in the list for a particular website can point to a single 1password entry. Another item in the list is added every time you change the user name in the 1password entry. So when you click on the little key, eight items are listed they all point to the same entry in 1password. Regardless of what username you click on only the username that’s in the actual entry shows up. I just created a random user names and now when I go to that particular website it shows eight different options. If I delete all entries for that website in 1password and Also empty the trash. The list doesn’t change but none of the entries point to anything, so clicking on any of the eight Entries results in nothing being filled in. The default one is always the last one clicked on regardless of whether it has filled in anything or not. I have no idea where this list is stored I don’t know if it’s Apple or 1password but it is a list that only grows there is no way to remove items from the list. They all point to specific Entries in 1password whether an entry is in that spot or not. I assume each entry must have some kind of hidden identifier. Like an inode in Unix. Regardless, I don’t have the problem anymore because I always create a new default by clicking on the little key. But I have gotten that list when you click on the little key to be incredibly long. I haven’t gotten to the point where you would need to scroll, I’m kind of curious what would happen if I got like 20 items in that list. All it takes is changing the username in the single 1password entry and it creates a new entry in the auto-fill extension. Obviously that data is stored somewhere; I have no idea where. It is not in “saved form details”, I had originally thought I would find it there. I don’t think it is any data that is stored in the cloud. I don’t think I have anything that happens like that in macOS “Big Sur”. This is not so much of an inconvenience for me anymore as it is a curiosity. It’s just always strange to click on one username and have a different one show up. There is no correlation between the username you click on in the extension and the username to that gets populated into the field.

• mark_orlando
    mark_orlando
    Community Member
    Options

I edited my previous comment to make it more understandable, using the iPhone for this lends itself to confusing grammar. If somebody read it before, They probably wouldn’t understand anything of what I said; so, I apologize if you read it in the few minutes before I was able to edit it.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@mark_orlando:

Make sure that the Autofill extension has had time to refresh after you updated information in the main 1Password app. To do so, open 1Password on your iOS device and go to Settings > Password AutoFill, and wait until data has updated.

Does the login show in the list now?

• mark_orlando
    mark_orlando
    Community Member
    edited March 2021
    Options

Okay, so after every time I change a user name I need to go to Settings > Password AutoFill? or the auto fill list gets bigger infinitely?

• mark_orlando
    mark_orlando
    Community Member
    edited March 2021
    Options

I'm sorry, I kind of meant that last comment to be sarcastic. But, I tested it and YES after every time you change a user name you must go to Settings > Password AutoFill and wait until data has updated. I would have thought that this would have been automatic after making a change to a 1password Entry. This issue is solved. Though, I am not sure why it works this way. It seems to me that autofill should be updated when the entry is updated automatically.

I can attest to the fact that this never updates by itself. Months had gone by since I updated the user names and the old user names were still in the autofill list.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@mark_orlando:

The update should be automatic. In your case, it sounded like for some reason that was not happening, so in that case letting the autofill menu complete the refresh in the settings is normally enough to get things back in good standing :+1:

This discussion has been closed.