Login process between Safari and Firefox

Options
Philipp
Philipp
Community Member
edited March 2021 in iOS

Hello,
I gave Firefox a chance on my iPhone and have following question

When I open a website with login option (example here 1password.community) there are different options between the browsers.

• Safari recognize often the website and knows I have a login saved. --> In this case I see the right login above the keyboard. One click and I'm in. Great job! :)
  • Firefox never recognize a website directly. Instead I see only the key with Passwords above the keyboard. So when I click there I have to do a detour with a 1Password popup. But in the popup 1Password preselected the right login.

Do you know why Firefox could not offer the easy direct login, similar to Safari?
Thanks and ciao
Philipp

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Philipp!

Firefox never recognize a website directly. Instead I see only the key with Passwords above the keyboard. So when I click there I have to do a detour with a 1Password popup. But in the popup 1Password preselected the right login.

When this happens, it's typically because the URL inside the 1Password Login item does not match the URL of the website you are in. Can you confirm if perhaps there are differences in the URLs when this happens?

• Philipp
    Philipp
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @ag_ana
    Thanks for your reply.

Maybe the best way is to try it out with this 1Password community login page.
    1. I enter the URL "1password.community" into the field and click the go to button.
    2. I click on the "Sign In" button on the footer area.
    3. In both browser (Safari and Firefox) I see the URL "https://1password.community/entry/signin"

• Safari directly shows me a box (instead of the keyboard) with to option to login with my user name
    • When I click into the password field (instead of the login option), the keyboard is appearing and above the keyboard I see an option to login with my user name also. --> One-click, face detection --> Fields are filled in, click the "Sign In" button and I'm in.

• Firefox doesn't show the login box.

• When I click into the password field, the keyboard is appearing and above the keyboard I see an option to login also. But here my credentials are not detected. --> One click, face detection --> 1Password popup window appears with detected right login credentials --> One click on the entry --> Sign In website is filled in --> click the "Sign In" button and I'm in.

So with Firefox I have an intermediate step. But the domain for login is the same.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Philipp:

Thank you for the clarification! I tested this on my device and I confirm that I see the same thing. I believe this is one of those things where 1Password does not have control over, as one of our developers mentioned here.

• Philipp
    Philipp
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @ag_ana
    Thanks for your feedback. Maybe you will find a solution in future.
    Ciao and have a nice weekend

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thank you @Philipp, you have a nice weekend too!

This discussion has been closed.