synchronization with 1Password perpetual license

Options
bsa
bsa
Community Member
edited March 2021 in Mac

Hello,
I own a 1Password 7 perpetual license for mac. I can no longer use Dropbox for syncing. What are the other methods? Is this possible via Box™?
I am mac, iphone and ipad user.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• VT1P
    VT1P
    Community Member
    Options

iCloud, or a local network drive you set up yourself, like a NAS or a USB drive plugged into your router. I use Sync.com, it works great.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @bsa!

Box is not a supported sync method, but 1Password 7 can also still sync with Dropbox. Here are all the supported sync methods:

Sync your 1Password data

Can you clarify why you can no longer use Dropbox for syncing though? What issues are you experiencing there?

• bsa
    bsa
    Community Member
    Options

Dropbox free account = maximum 3 devices. But I own 7 devices !

• bsa
    bsa
    Community Member
    Options

@VT1P
    sync.com, what is it and how does it work?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@bsa:

Dropbox free account = maximum 3 devices. But I own 7 devices !

I see, understood :+1:

sync.com, what is it and how does it work?

I am not familiar with sync.com, but that is also not a supported sync method. You can see all of the options for syncing your 1Password data in the link I shared in my previous post. Here it is again for your convenience:

Sync your 1Password data

• bsa
    bsa
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you Ana
    However, the explanation does not mention if it works when you don't have a 1password subscription, but a perpetual license, like me.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@bsa:

If you use a license, your options are iCloud, Dropbox or the WLAN server :+1:

• bsa
    bsa
    Community Member
    Options

In my family, everyone has their iCloud account, so it won't work. So I will try WLAN

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Sounds good :+1:

• VT1P
    VT1P
    Community Member
    Options

@bsa

Sync.com will not work for you. It has a five device limit.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thank you for the confirmation @VT1P :+1:

• bsa
    bsa
    Community Member
    edited May 2021
    Options

Hi !
    In 1password help pages I read this:

Notes:

• The WLAN server can’t sync a mobile device to multiple computers.
    • The WLAN server can’t sync two or more computers.
    • The WLAN server can’t sync two or more mobile devices directly

I don't understand what it means.
    In my family we have:
    4 computers (mac)
    5 iphones
    3 ipad

Will WLAN work? Should I install it on a permanently turned on mac or on a NAS server?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@bsa:

I don't think WLAN will work for you with those requirements: you won't be able to sync the 4 computers between them for example. Also, you could only sync the phones and tablets with a computer, and only one computer at the time.

• bsa
    bsa
    Community Member
    edited May 2021
    Options

I bought a perpetual license of 1password and now I'm forced to subscribe to your service, all because you don't want to offer the option to go through other multi-account sync services like Box or Google . Many developers have taken to these subscription plans, and the price of software has skyrocketed. I find myself paying 600 € per year which only cost 1/3 a few years ago. We are just cash cows. Farewell 1P?

• bsa
    bsa
    Community Member
    Options

My apologies for this angry outburst.
    I looked at Dashlane, which offers a comparable and better priced power offering. Obviously for me it would be better to stay with 1P, being a long time user (2010). Having purchased perpetual licenses and ios apps for 10 years, could you give me a preferential offer or a commercial gesture? If I stay with you I would opt for a family plan (we are currently 4 users, but there will be 7 in the long term). Thank you.

• Ben
    Options

Hi @bsa

I do apologize about increasing costs. Certainly the cost of providing high quality software hasn't decreased any. We've never had or promised to offer 3rd party solutions such as Box or Google. We found that there were a number of ways in which we were limited when relying on 3rd party solutions and so we've shifted our focus to our own 1st party service which doesn't have those limitations. As such, membership is the way forward for 1Password. We offer a free trial period and our team would be happy to work with you. I'd encourage you to reach out to us at support@1password.com to discuss your specific situation. I hope we can work something out. :) We look forward to emailing with you.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.