Login search via extension returns no results if domain is not already saved

verdi1987
verdi1987
Community Member

Example:

1. Create a login for say, https://setup.myharmony.com/. Name it “Logitech.”
  2. Launch the Logitech Harmony app.
  3. Click Login.
  4. Bring up the 1Password extension. No matching results are found.
  5. Do a search in the 1Password extension for “Logitech.”

There are no matching results.

I understand why there are no matching results. The app login uses something like logi.com as the domain, not the myharmony.com login you’ve saved. However, having search here is almost pointless if you cannot search your logins. I frequently run into situations either in a browser or in-app where the login domain may be different than what I’ve saved. Websites and apps often use different domains for login, or websites shorten the URL after you’ve created the 1Password login entry, so your vault is never completely current.

This would be less of an issue if you could simply add the domain via the extension to an existing entry, but that functionality does not exist. Perhaps you could add an option to “search everywhere.” (I swear that was the behavior before, but I could be misremembering.)

1Password Version: 7..7.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: iOS 14.4
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @verdi1987!

There is indeed an option to search anywhere in the autofill extension. Can you confirm that this is the one you are indeed using? For reference, this is the one I am referring to:

Use 1Password to fill and save on your iPhone and iPad

• verdi1987
    verdi1987
    Community Member
    edited March 2021

@ag_ana, I’m referring to Share > 1Password (which I guess would be 1Password mini) rather than the autofill interface.

Is there a reason for the discrepancy in search behavior between the share extension mini and searching from 1Password autofill?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@verdi1987:

Just to confirm, on https://1password.community/, if you launch the share extension and search for Amazon, you get a result for Amazon?

That's right. However, I wonder if you actually encountered a bug in the search bar, I believe our developers are aware of this. When you search the first time, and you get no results, can you try emptying the search bar and trying again? The second time you should see your Amazon Login in the list.

• verdi1987
    verdi1987
    Community Member
    edited March 2021

@ag_ana, I edited my response, but you responded before I completed my edit.

I was actually referring to the 1Password mini that appears when you Share and then select 1Password from the iOS share (actions) menu. If you search that way you cannot search everything. Is that intended behavior?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@verdi1987:

Thank you for confirming which extension you are using :+1: Indeed, the old share sheet extension did not allow searching among all items, only the new autofill extension supports this feature.

• verdi1987
    verdi1987
    Community Member
    edited March 2021

Thanks, @ag_ana.

I actually hadn’t realize they were different until this issue came up. Is there a reason the old one is still separately maintained?

Edit: Nevermind. I see there is non-overlapping functionality between the two for different use cases.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@verdi1987:

I think that's it: historically we only had the share extension, but since autofill was introduced (I believe it was iOS 12), our developers moved to that. Unfortunately the autofill feature does not allow us to do everything that the old share extension could (yet), so we still make it available in case it's useful :+1:

• verdi1987
    verdi1987
    Community Member

Thanks, @ag_ana! I do see there are different use cases for the old share extension and the autofill feature.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Indeed :+1:

• chinfuzzy
    chinfuzzy
    Community Member

@verdi1987 I've worked around a similar problem by adding a second website URL with my desired keyword in the domain name part. For your example, I'd try "https://logitech.com". But I have not specifically checked whether or not this helps with the Share sheet issue you found.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@chinfuzzy:

If you want to keep things even cleaner, what I personally do is add the keyword directly to the Title of the item, so I don't have multiple domains. In this case, I would name it "Logitech Harmony", for example.

• verdi1987
    verdi1987
    Community Member

@chinfuzzy, I already do add the additional domains to the login entry. The problem arises when a domain I haven’t yet added comes up (like in an app login).

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Agreed, I see how being able to edit the item from there directly could be useful.

This discussion has been closed.