Safari non-password fields displaying 1password options overlay

Hi, I'm running 1Password 7.8 on MacOS Catalina. I like the overlay that 1Password and/or the Safari extension provides when I encounter login screens in Safari. But these overlays often pop up in text entry fields that are clearly not related to entering login items like usernames or passwords. Can this be controlled?

When I need them, the overlays are great, but when they're displayed incorrectly, I find them distracting and disruptive to my workflow.

Thanks.

1Password Version: 7.8
Extension Version: 7.7
OS Version: 10.15.7
Sync Type: None

Comments

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Hey @ericsh ,

The first thing that you can do when 1Password shows up where it shouldn't is to click on the little 1Password icon on the right side of the field it shows up in. By clicking 1Password's icon in the field, you can close/open the inline menu as you see fit.

If that's not enough and you want more control, you can change 1Password's settings so it will not automatically show the inline menu unless you tell it to:

1. Open and unlock the 1Password 7 desktop app.
    2. Click the "1Password" menu on the top left next to the Apple logo and select "Preferences".
    3. In the preferences window that pops up, Select the "Browsers" tab and disable the "Automatically show inline menu when selecting a field".

That will prevent the inline menu from showing up, and you will be able to call it whenever you want by clicking the little 1Password icon in the right side of the field.

The third thing you can do is report such websites to us. If they are publicly accessible we will investigate what is happening and improve 1Password accordingly :)

• ericsh
    ericsh
    Community Member

Hi @ag_yaron, this is helpful info, thanks! Unfortunately, most websites I have issues with are within our corporate intranet and thus private. If I see unexpected behavior on a public website, I'll be sure to report it.

• Fair enough, @ericsh! We can also connect via email to discuss these private sites — even if we can't access them, there's additional information we can gather from you (if you're willing to help and report!) to make fixes. :smile:

• ericsh
    ericsh
    Community Member

Hi, so one thing I'm noticing is this "inline menu" shows up on most fields where a site is asking for my email address, and not just in the context of a email/password login dialog. Is there any way for 1Password to notice that this isn't a login dialog session, and not display this menu on every email form field?

• Hey @ericsh. Is it suggesting an Identity item? This is normal behavior if so, so you can quickly fill an identity to sign up.

• ericsh
    ericsh
    Community Member
    edited April 2021

Hi, not understanding the question. There are many places that ask for email address that are not part of any signin or signup process. I guess it would be hard for 1Password to distinguish those from actually signing in to a web page?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@ericsh:

There are many places that ask for email address that are not part of any signin or signup process.

1Password would show your Identity items in these cases, so it's possible that this is what you are seeing. If you open your 1Password app and locate this item which is being suggested, is it saved as a Login item or as an Identity item in 1Password?

This discussion has been closed.