Firefox extension not working (Mac)

Options
mattsregister
mattsregister
Community Member
edited March 2021 in 1Password in the Browser

I've just subscribed to 1P. Installed the app on my iMac, and extension on my Firefox browser. The extension was always locked and wouldn't suggest or autofill any passwords. Reading through this forum I found something suggesting using the classic version - and now the icon is greyed out (and also won't function). I've gone through the settings in Firefox, including disabling its password manager. Still nothing.

1Password Version: 1Password Version 7.8 (70800000)
Extension Version: 4.7.5.90
OS Version: OS 10.15.7
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @mattsregister!

I would like to ask you to generate a diagnostics report from your Mac and email it to us to support+forum@agilebits.com, so we can take a closer look at why this is happening to you.

After you have sent the email, please feel free to post the ticket number you received so we can locate your message and connect it with this forum discussion.

Looking forward to your message!

• mattsregister
    mattsregister
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks.
    Report has been sent. Ticket number is:
    [#WGJ-96551-173]

Thanks.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@mattsregister:

Thank you! I confirm that I have managed to locate your message in our system :+1: I see also that my colleague Nhat has already replied to you, so I will let you continue the conversation via email :+1:

ref: WGJ-96551-173

• brutos
    brutos
    Community Member
    Options

Having a similar issue with firefox on mac extension stopped working

• Hey @brutos. I'm sorry about the trouble you're having with the extension. You said you're having a similar issue; can you expand a bit on the exact issue you're encountering?

• plotical
    plotical
    Community Member
    Options

With Firefox 88.0.1 (64-bit) for Mac, all of sudden the 1Password extension stopped working. It flashes from pale to solid, but nothing happens when I click it. I removed it completely and reinstalled - this is your Firefox extension version 4.7.5.90 - but still doesn't work.
    Suggestions?

• plotical
    plotical
    Community Member
    Options

This is Mac OS 11.3.1 on a 2020 MacBookPro.

• ag_tommy
    Options

@plotical

Can you try the following?

1. Look for our helper in the menu bar near the WiFi indicator and the clock. Right-click (Option-click) on the helper and select quit 1Password completely.
    2. Quit your browser.
    3. Wait a few seconds and then open 1Password from the Dock or the Applications folder and unlock
    4. Open your browser.
  • plotical
    plotical
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks - the odd thing - as soon as right clicked and quite 1PW completely, the Firefox extension stayed solid. Clicking on it was back to normal. All without quitting the browser. So is it a problem with the menu bar 1PW perhaps?

• It sounds like there might have been a disruption to the connection between the browser and 1Password app, and quitting 1Password ultimately severed that connection altogether, "fixing" the broken (flashing) connection.

Are things working overall now working properly for you?

• itp
    itp
    Community Member
    Options

Long-time user here. Firefox-support on MacOS-issues here as well, since yesterday (auto FF-update? not sure). Suddenly the 1P-icon in FF was greyed out and not responding to clicks. Reinstalling the FF extension somehow downgraded (?) it to a version that doesn't support Touch anymore

What's really buggin' me is that when I click on the 1P-icon in the menu bar _I always get the invitation to install the FF-extension _(pointless). Even so after following @plotical 's suggested steps

• plotical
    plotical
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_michaelc thanks. Yes, since that episode, all is well. But looks like you've another person that my step didn't help.

• itp
    itp
    Community Member
    Options

Forgot to mention the application versions:

• 1P client: 7.8.3
    • FF: 88.0.1
    • 1P FF extension: 1.24.2
  • ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @itp ,

You are using a different extension than the one mentioned in this discussion.
    Depending on your browser settings, you'll have to make sure 1Password has the correct permissions to run:

1. Click the Firefox menu at the top right of your browser toolbar and click Add-ons.
    2. Click the three dots next to the 1Password and choose Manage.
    3. Make sure that "Run in Private Windows" is set to Allow.
    4. Click on Firefox Preferences at the bottom left of the screen and choose Privacy & Security.
    5. Under "History" make sure "Firefox will" is set to Remember History.

You can always maintain your privacy by using a private browsing window, which will not remember history but will still allow 1Password to work properly.

• itp
    itp
    Community Member
    Options

hi @ag_yaron

It's the version of the extension that installs by clicking on the 1P-icon in the menu bar and then on Add 1Password To Firefox , and finally choosing the FF-logo at https://support.1password.com/cs/1password-classic-extension/

I've checked the FF settings: they all are as you suggested. Checking for updates to the 1P browser extension results in a "no new version found"

Are you referring to an entirely different extension than the "Classic"? If so, is that the one that supports Touch in FF on MacOS and where can I get it?

Btw: I installed the latest update to MacOS on Friday so system preferences and other OS-level caches should have been cleaned up. But I still get the suggestion to add the extension in FF.

thx
    pascal

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for the info @itp .

In your previous reply you wrote:

1P FF extension: 1.24.2

That's the new 1Password in the browser, not 1Password Classic. So I'm a big confused as to which extension you actually have installed in your Firefox.
    1Password Classic's version is 4.7.5.90 and has a grey keyhole icon. 1Password in the browser's version is what you listed above and has a white and blue 1Password icon.

If you indeed have 1Password Classic installed, then restarting your computer should resolve the issue. In case it doesn't help, we'll need to dive in deeper and you'll want to send us a diagnostics report to support+extensions@1password.com.
    Here's how to generate a diagnostics report: https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    Options

In case you want to use the new 1Password in the browser with Touch ID, you'll need to install both 1Password in the browser beta and the 1Password 7 desktop app's beta version from here: https://support.1password.com/betas/

Once both betas are installed, they'll integrate and allow you to unlock the new extension with Touch ID.

• itp
    itp
    Community Member
    Options

I have the white and blue icon in the FF toolbar so I must have the new 1P extension, not the classic. What confused me is that when I click on "Add 1P to FF" in the client it opens this page : https://support.1password.com/cs/1password-classic-extension/

In summary:

1) So I have the non-classic extension in FF, but the 1P client still suggests erroneously to install the extension
    2) About the touch thing: Touch ID worked fine for 1P on FF until this week but I never used 1P beta versions for either the client or the browser extension. I'd rather not use beta-versions, but I do miss the Touch ID-integration.

The client is at v7.8.3 (no mention of Betas) and "Unlock using Touch ID" is enabled. Why would I have to install beta versions then?

(I'll prepare a diagnostics report in the meantime)

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    Options

No need for a diagnostics report in this case @itp .

Sounds like you accidentally installed the new 1Password in the browser while what you actually want is 1Password Classic. Please follow the steps here to get everything working like you want it to: https://support.1password.com/cs/1password-classic-extension/

If something still doesn't work, restart both Firefox and 1Password:

1. Right click the little 1Password icon on the top menu bar of your Mac (where the clock is) and select "Quit 1Password Completely".
    2. Quit Firefox by right clicking its icon in the Dock and selecting "Quit".
    3. Open and unlock 1Password.
    4. Open Firefox and test if it is working properly.
  • itp
    itp
    Community Member
    Options

And we're back :)

Can you tell me precisely why I shouldn't install the "new 1Password in the browser" and stick to the Classic version?

"New" does sound better then "Classic", doesn't it?

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2021
    Options

@itp That's great :+1:

New is indeed better, but it is still lacking the Touch ID unlock functionality as it works separately and independently from the desktop app.
    Only the beta versions support that feature, which you prefer to avoid, so the Classic extension best suits your requirements for now.

• itp
    itp
    Community Member
    Options

loud and clear. thanks @ag_yaron

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    Options

:chuffed: :+1:

This discussion has been closed.