Open in browser question

LarryMcJ
LarryMcJ
Community Member

This is merely one of those “inquiring minds want to know” questions I’ve wanted to ask for many years.

Since 1Password advocates opening a login in the default browser, why is that not the default action when tapping on the login URL? A single tap on the login URL opens the 1P browser (not normally desired), and an extra tap is required to open in the default browser. It seems like it should be the other way around, given your preference for using the default browser. Thanks.

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @LarryMcJ!

I think it's something from the past that remained like that since it was introduced. Nowadays the focus is using 1Password with autofill, so most of the interactions happen directly in the browser you are using, and interaction within the app is probably less necessary. Perhaps this is something we can consider in the future though, but it's very rarely brought up as a topic in my experience, so I don't think we have any immediate plans to change it.

• LarryMcJ
    LarryMcJ
    Community Member

I understand, but I would almost bet it's a case of users simply not being concerned enough to comment on it. Maybe I'm missing a more simple use case, but to use autofill and never open 1Password, I still need a list of all my secure logins (over 200) in Safari bookmarks since the number of sites that don't use their business name as the URL (think all the medical portals, etc.) is increasing and it's impossible to remember all 200 URLs. So I have to either use that Safari bookmarks list or the login list already in 1Password. For me, it's been easier to use the login list in 1Password. At least there, I can name the login "Dentist" instead of trying to remember something like medportal.xxxxx.xxx. If there's an easier way I'm overlooking, I'm all ears.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Understood @LarryMcJ, thank you for the clarification and the feedback :+1: I will be happy to pass it to the team for future consideration.

Personally, I use favorites in Safari, and login from there, but I understand how it can be convenient to use the list within 1Password instead.

• LarryMcJ
    LarryMcJ
    Community Member

Thanks. I already have a Favorites folder named "Logins" that contains all the same URLs as I have for 1Password logins so I can just use that. I created it when I was trying out the latest version of the Keychain password manager...glad I didn't delete it.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

:+1: :)

• digitpass
    digitpass
    Community Member

I agree with @LarryMcJ.

Tapping a link should open the default browser.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us @digitpass :+1:

This discussion has been closed.